LOTS AND LOTS of Fuel Smoke on Start up

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What would cause one of these trucks to full the neighbors pasture full of blue/grey fuel smoke on start up? Its not like its going to matter much because its getting rebuilt with new injectors and a moose pump soon but what the heck would cause that?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
well as u know blue smoke is oil...perhaps the valve seals are leaking and the injectors are weeping causing fuel/oil to puddle on the cylinders?

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Sounds like the new injectors and moose pump will get rid of the smoke then...along with the power they're going to give you... killing 2 birds with one stone.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
mine does it but its some bad glow plugs causing it. the colder it is the worse it is, speaking of i think i will go out and fix that......

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll know for sure when you refresh your fuel system. ;)

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would cause one of these trucks to full the neighbors pasture full of blue/grey fuel smoke on start up? Its not like its going to matter much because its getting rebuilt with new injectors and a moose pump soon but what the heck would cause that?

Sorry to bring up the old died thread, but here seems to be plenty of information and good questions, but some of them is without an final conclusion.
So my question is, that did the ip and injectors fixed the smoking problem or was the problem somewhere else?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I never had a chance to diagnose and fix the problem. Winter got too cold and snowy to even care, and as soon as it started warming up to the point I could bare to work on it I dropped a valve in the engine. So now Im waiting to save up enough money to perform the proper rebuild, saving enough to do a full on rebuild if need be. I don't want to get caught with my pants down on this one. I definitely want to have extra money because my luck always dictates that something else will go wrong.
I was leaning towards the injectors leaking off over night, dribbling fuel into the cylinders, causing an over rich startup.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that it dropped a valve says to me there are some loose guides also.
Guide gets sloppy, usually exhaust, spring gets cooked from the passing gas, spring goes soft then lets the valve drop.
I have seen this in every truck in the wrecking yards here with a bad engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes