lost keys to truck. any way to get ignition cylinder out without key??? HELP!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
well lost the keys to the 97 f150 and need to know if theres anyway to get the ignition cylinder out without the key. locksmith wants $150 to come make a key and a new ignition is $15 so im gonna go that route if possible. if i can get the ignition switch to turn then i can get it out but have no idea how to without a key. so if anyone has any ideas tip or tricks please let me know asap. can i drill the switch? ive been told i can take a 5/8 drill bit and drill it untill it clicks but i dont want to mess anything up.THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Can you explain what I need to drill and what to do when I drill it out? Thanks!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
If you drill out the key hole in the ignition switch it will chew up the tumblers and should let you turn it....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds scary, but one of the official ways of doing this is get a large screwdriver or chisel, get behind the chrome part of the tumbler where the key goes in, and smack it with a hammer. The chrome piece will break right off. You can then get in there and fish around with a small screwdriver and push down on the little lock pin, and pull the tumbler out.

I have done this to a couple of trucks with no ill affects. In some repair manuals, this is the way they tell you to do it.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I found a random key that works so I'm gonna go get one made off of that and not swap them out.

jukess289

Reaction score
I had the same thing i bought a column for my truck with no keys take the pin that holds the lock cylinder in and use a punch and drive it into the lock cylinder and then use a slide hammer with a lag bolt and hammer it out that is what i did with my truck

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have drilled them out on a few and they always work pretty good. I did I think a 98 windstar van and a 80's style ford box van. You need a big enough bit to remove all the aluminum material that holds the hardened pins in place but a small enough one not to get into the actual column. Once its drilled out the hardened pin will just fall to the inside or you can push it in. Its much easier to do it this way than beat around on it. When your all done it looks like it should. Not all scuffed and scratched up.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you look over the visor ??? :angel:

The last set of lost keys around here were found above the visor --- after many means of gutting the switch were explored. :rotflmao LOL

One really good source of finding a key that will work is at any long-time dealership, most likely of the same brand of vehicle that has the lost key.

Any car dealer worth the name will have countless old keys that fit nearly everything.

You can go through their collection, one by one, trying them until one works. ;Sweet

Last edited:

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a bunch of keys and jiggle them in and out while trying to turn the key to the ACC position. Once it turns quickly turn it to the on position and then you can press the pin to get the tumbler out. I just did one this morning at work in our company service truck. Grabbed the keys to all of my trucks and messed with them till the ones for my 87 got it to turn. Turned it real quick to the run position push the pin in and viola out it came. Local guy wanted about the same money to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online

No members online now.