Loss of power, HP oil pump leak?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm used to working on my 7.3 IDI but a friend of mine just had a problem with his 7.3PS and is currently towing it to my house.

Its an 01 F350, he was driving 75mph up from S FL today when he said he had loss of power and a bit of white smoke from the exhaust. He said there appeared to be a bad oil leak under the hood near the turbo. He also said he called one of his friends at a truck place who told him it was most likely the O rings on the high pressure oil pump and that it was about a 1 hour job and no big deal.

Does this sound accurate? I didn't know Power strokes had two oil pumps :rolleyes: Anyway, the ford stealer has the o ring kit in stock for $28 but just wanted to see if you guys had some input before I jump in on something I've never done.

Thanks in advance,;Sweet

-Rob

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the orings on the fittings for the lines goes bad, usually wont leak at idle, but will put a stream out under load.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yep lol...the powerstrokes have 2 oil pumps...one for block lubrication and another to run the HPOP oil pressure activated fuel injection. They don't have an actual pump like a full mechanical IDI.

Other than this, the only thing I can tell you about a powersmoke is injectors cost a small fortune and the CPS craps out on them lol.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just did an oil change on the truck and started it up to find the leak. Looks like its not the O rings after all, the oil is pouring from what looks like a drain plug on the back, driver side of the HPOP. Appears as though the washer under it failed. Gonna do a bit of reading before I remove it but looks like an easy fix.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let ya know how it goes.

-Rob

mark7.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My budy just had the same thinng happen to him two days ago he was going to pull the motor b/c he thought it was the oil pan.