Looking for info on temperatures

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temperature do you let your truck warm up to before you drive off?
Also, what should the EGT's be down to before you turn off the truck?

MoMo

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I, personally, jump in, hit the glow plugs, fire her up, count to ten, and throw it in drive...

BUT, I have about 5 miles of 35 MPH driving before I hit the freeway, so, I think most of my warm up is en route. I'm usually just coming off high idle by on-ramp time.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Very little warm up for me. Normal driving is my warm up. My "know-it-all" brother said that idling doesnt warm it up, putting a load on it (i.e driving) warms it up.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Concur with the above. Diesels generate very little heat at idle and for a long while, combustion chamber temp is too cool for complete combustion, so a lot of unburned fuel and extra soot are present to contaminate the oil. If it's cold, use the block heater, which cuts normal warmup time in half. In any case, IMO, leisurely driving does better to warm up an engine... plus you are putting the fuel to use. All you need is enough oil pressure, clear windows and you're good to go. Bear in mind, all of you running 15W40 oil in winter, you might be bypassing your oil filter on a totally cold start until the oil thins out a bit.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting, I thought I had to let it warm up because the turbo would generate too much heat for a cold engine to handle. Basically, the turbo would cause it to warm too fast and expand too fast, causing breakage.
If that's not thecase, that's great news!
What about letting the EGT's cool down before shutting down? I had heard the same as above but in reverse, is you don't let the engine cool down on it's own, and shut it down, it wouldn't cool properly with out the coolant flowing and cause breakage. Anyone know if that is right?

MoMo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For me any Cali cold start isn't anything like the rest of the country but... When I start I let "things" work for around 1 minute. I can hear all the cylinders warm up and fire all the same. Remember the glows are still working on and off till the motor reaches 120 degrees. At that point is when I use as much of the throttle as I need... Before that fast idle shut down the motor is too far advanced for my likeing. It rattles more than I care fore. I run around 9 degrees advance too....I never shut down the motor till the pyro stays at 300 degrees or just below that.. Anything hotter and the oil will coke up on the sleeve bearings chokeing the oil flow... This wont hapen with synthetic oil....:sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't let it warm up either. I start it and drive on.

As far as cool down goes..... I cheat. I use an Isspro Turbo Temp Monitor. It idles my IDI for me. I turn off the ignition, remove the keys and walk away. I have mine set at 250 degrees, and once the pyro reached 250, it shuts down. 250 is a bit too low, but, I haven't had time to adjust it up again. I'll try and set it for 275 next time. Like stated above, 300 or less.

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I let it warm up a little bit if its below freezing. Basically go outside, start the truck, go back inside and get my stuff....then generally it kicks off high idle (112* water temp) and I drive off. Otherwise I let it idle for about thirty seconds.

I shut off below 300*. I would die if I had to wait till 250* that would take at least a minute of idling, and sometimes I dont have the time. And a turbo timer is out of the question right now, no mulah to spend on the rig.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I like the monitor!! I think I might have found my next birthday present....that'll give me 8 mos to fix all these little gremlins I've got going on right now before adding anything else....:rolleyes:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I usually let mine warm up 10 minutes or so if I'm not in a hurry with the manual high idle on.

There is times though when I need to get to the fire department quick and its just start it and go like hell.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in FL no worries on cold start ups usually. I have to get out of a residentgial subdivision before the highway but unlike the other poster my slow driving is only about 1 mile, maybe 1.5. I rarely see much over 300 EGT in town so by the time I get my seatbelt undone and let it idle for a few seconds it's always cool enough. I realize my pyro may read a bit low and the ATS 088 port is not as hot as right after the manifold but it is what the turbo "sees" I'm not a turbo expert by any means but I think the damage comes from getting the EGTs up there and working the engine hard like if you were pulling a load or on the highway. I would always give the thing a couple minutes to idle down in that situation regardless of what the pyro says and never shut down before it cools down to the 300-ish range.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I generally wait for it to drop to low idle before letting the tach go above about 1500, but I live out in the country once it's fired up it runs all damn day, same with the quads and the tractors. As far as cool down goes I don't have a pyro yet so about 3 or 4 minutes minimum for me, any less and the damn injectors jeak down into the cylinders then the smoke realy flies when I fire her up, plus the warning labels on an old IH that I had stated at least 3 minutes cool off (it was a hough 120 front end loader with a 5 1/2 yard bucket, N/A Inline 6 that would beltch flames right before my dad killed it, 7 or 8 gallons low on oil which was lost through the exhaust valves in less then an hour siesed it.)

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got tired of trying to drive away with the cold ignition advance and fast idle going, so I disconnected them :angel:

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too. I usually take my time leaving the house driving through the neighborhood until the fast idle is done then drive however. Leaving work though, I let it warm up so I'm not driving the freeway with the fast idle/timing advanced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online