looking for a good inner cooler for my 86

gem6.9

Reaction score
hello from oregon. from what it sounds like from reading here about the inter cooler i would be able to lower my egt. i will be pulling a good load over the santiam pass and another few other steep mountains this spring and am wondering where is a good place to get one of these for the 6.9 and what kind of a job is it to put it on. my egt. jumps up to 1200 and i have to really back out of it to keep it below, could run faster on foot by the time i get to the top. can you keep your foot in it and keep under 1200 with this inner cooler. thanks for any come back from the experienced.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hypermax makes them, but there like 1300 dollars, but if you have the skills get you a 7.3 psd or 6.0( 6.0 probly better) and fab every thing up, what do you have for an intake to the turbo?( a ram air intake will help, and what size exaust do you have?

gem6.9

Reaction score
inner cooler

thanks, thats kind of what i was thinking to, fab some thing up,i have the stock air intake tube to the ats air cleaner.i am working on how to turn on my pm.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
just a thought but have you had your timing checked? retarded timing = high EGTs

i know on mine the timing was retarded and once i had it set it pulls much harder before EGTs get out of hand.

of course the IC will help too.

gem6.9

Reaction score
inner cooler

thanks, i will have that timing checked, it does sound a little off.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I dont know where lebanon is offhand but if your up for driving to portland/newberg area it looks like we may be having an innercooler get together here soon. Otto, k_williams and I all have IC's that need installed. I know that we are doing a 7.3 powerstroke (mine) and a 6.0 powerstroke (k_williams), so at the very least you can see what all is involved. I also have a timeing setup for these rigs so I could check your timeing while you are there (the shop charges 95, I charge 20-30 depending on what all I have to do to get it where it needs to be)

punk

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
get rid of that factory air intake and attach some sort of hose to the ats box and get you a scoop and cut you a hole in the radiator grille support area, and what are you using for exaust?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I forgot who but someone used a 6.0 intercooler and had some cooling issues with the truck as the 6.0 intercooler is a bit bigger than the 7.3 PSD coolers...... and.... as far as these older trucks are concerned, not that were making huge boost numbers the 7.3 PSD intercooler is MORE than enough to get the job done.... of course this is sorta my opinion.....
For yer exhaust it should be wide open at least 3" pipe.... that would help the EGT's also.....

gem6.9

Reaction score
good ic

thanks alot for the good info,lebanon is about a 100 miles south of portland,i am going to be doing some serious research on the ic thing, it sounds like a must have item, i will in the mean time get some more air going to the air filter box,the exhaust is at least 2.5- 3.0". thanks, i will get some pic. later on

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a 99 PSD intercooler for my 86. I am going to put a hypermax or ATS turbo on. Anyone have a source for IC pipes or did you make your own?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
One must make their own piping.... if you get the pipes that were factory with the 99 IC you may be able to use some of them, you will probly need a different intake hat as well. Put "intercooler" in the search bar up top and there are a ton of good threads on the subject...... talking pipe work and such...... hope that helped some....

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I may know a guy that nows a guy:cool that can get ahold of psd 6.0 intercoolers that need resealed for REALLY cheap. Im not saying I do or dont but if the interest is there i could see what i can do:angel:

let me know.

punk

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I forgot who but someone used a 6.0 intercooler and had some cooling issues with the truck as the 6.0 intercooler is a bit bigger than the 7.3 PSD coolers...... and.... as far as these older trucks are concerned, not that were making huge boost numbers the 7.3 PSD intercooler is MORE than enough to get the job done.... of course this is sorta my opinion.....
For yer exhaust it should be wide open at least 3" pipe.... that would help the EGT's also.....

Should I hold off on the 6.0 and install one from a 7.3 PSD? I don't need ANY overheating issues since I do a lot of towing.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was me and it turns out the fan clutch wasn't working correctly, more than anything.
If you tow with a turbo idi and have high egt it is going to get hot. I am going to turn my fuel down and see if that helps also

The 6.0 ic will be fine i just used a 7.3 so i could cut it down and weld it.

Some 3 inch intercooler pipe kits off ebay would be nice for the elbows, made my install way easier

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The challenge with intercooling the 83-86 trucks is limited space behind the grill. I'd try to find the biggest intercooler in terms of surface area, and at the same time, the thinnest one. I'm shooting for stuff rated at 800CFM.