Looking at a truck with a blown motor.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I usually spend all my time over in the Ford section but I stumbled on a Dodge today I think is a killer deal. Heres the deal Its an 2003 2500 crew cab long bed 4x4. The truck is loaded pretty well with power windows, door locks, infinity sound system and so on. The truck is currently at a wrecking because they say the motor is blown. The only thing that I can see is that the oil pan has dents in it under the number one cylinder from the inside out. This to me this is a sign of a blown rod. Also the motor will not move even with a huge breaker bar on the front of the crank. The truck is a little rough and the interior is filthy but I think would clean up and the outside is scrated and has a few dents but it has not been wrecked. Also It has clear non salvage title. So my question is what do you guys think happened to the motor and is the truck worth the $8000 they want for it. Also I don't know how many miles it has since they took the batteries out and it has the digital odo.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I would do all the work my self so that will save a bunch on the repairs. I found a rebuild kit including pistons, rods, bearings, and all gaskets for 600 bucks so assuming the block and crank are not trash I think I could fix the motor that is in it. I have done gas motors before but never a diesel (since my old ford just keeps running) :D , so I guess it would be a learing experience.

WD40

Reaction score
I bet the person who owened this truck couldn't make the payments and they were about to come and get it. So being the nice person that he is he took it for one last ride.
It mite be a sweet deal for you if you don't get in any hurry working on it. ;Sweet

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
ClassicIDI said:
Yea I would do all the work my self so that will save a bunch on the repairs. I found a rebuild kit including pistons, rods, bearings, and all gaskets for 600 bucks so assuming the block and crank are not trash I think I could fix the motor that is in it. I have done gas motors before but never a diesel (since my old ford just keeps running) :D , so I guess it would be a learing experience.

git-r-dun