Looking at a IDI diesel

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
I'm planning on looking at a 1986 Ford F350 with a 7.3L crate engine with basically no use on the new engine! It is 4WD, and a 4 speed manual. Anything I ought to look for in particular? Only thing I know of, as of yet, that is wrong with it is that the glowplugs won't turn on, most likely a relay?

Also, without the GP, is it possible to start it without them? It's like in the 80s right now.

Thanks!

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as the gp are inside the motor, and sealing the engine, you could try a bit of ether while cranking... that will get her started right up..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually your going to actually see that the engine is as posted. I 7.3 will have those numbers as part of the block serial numbers and they are stamped into the flat area top of block to the drivers side of the enjection pump gear cover. You may need to remove some dirt or RTV to see the numbers. Then find out who rebuilt the engine and did they sleeve the cylinders or bore it out. As for using ether to start thats fine but you need to make sure the glow plugs have no power. They get power thru the double yellow wire from the fender mounted solenoid so lift the wires there. Easy to find because they are the only double wire in the main engine wire harness plug too. Be carfel on the hot side of that solenoid. Its always hot if the batteries are connected. So is the alternater hot continusly. May end up changing all the glow plugs and the coltroller to the 7.3 bullet style plug and the solid state controller. It is the better system.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Notice I did say it was a "crate" engine - I.E. they bought it brand spankin new from International/Ford. It has never been rebuilt. That is why I know it's a 7.3L. They are selling it as they don't need it anymore. So I don't think I'll have to worry about cavitation yet at all, as long as I put the SCA in it when/if I get it. I'll double check the numbers when I look at it though to make sure the guy is telling the truth, which he most likely is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online