long cranking.....

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about a month ago my truck was hard starting oddly it would run for 7 days and then get an air instruction.

long story short i replaced all kinds of stuff.. all in the last 2 months
new batteries because they couldnt take 1 light of the glow plugs and then a crank. and new glow plugs
all new rubber hose return lines caps and orings
installed a faucet pump which fixed the problem.. tho i assume it masked it...

well now in the last week ive noticed the hard start coming on again(and its been about 10* warmer this week).... and i had to crank like crazy last night.. then it fired with a hard rev and lots of grey smoke... so was it getting fuel, and not lighting the glow plugs? or burned out..

the mileage on the engine is unknown along with the pump and injectors,i bought it used and the guy i got it from said it was low mileage but whats his opinion of that? but id be real mad to buy new injectors and pump and not fix a thing.. the truck runs great. tho it does need a matched set of injectors.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low compression, burn't out glow plugs, GP relay, slow cranking, air intrusion, check olives on line to IP.

What brand GP's did you install? Some may be burn't out already.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as oldbull said,, if you put anything but berus in there,, trouble is brewing....and that's just what it sounds like is happening

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand new olives only 2 left at the filter head and injector pump.
Brand new motorcraft beru plugs on Manuel switch count in my head to about 15 which is about 7-10real sec
It's intermittent so I can't be compression thing cranks over like a new diesel has new starter in last year and all new larger cables with soldered lugs and I put group 31s in about a mount ago

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sat at the inlaws for a few hours after this morning hard start.. went to leave hard starting again.. so i sat a sec and then gave it a shot of ether fired right up.. so im gonna go check out the glow plugs

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my truck,I ended up replacing the starter,now fires right away.Did not realise how slow the old starter was cranking until I got the new one installed.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked glow plugs all 8 burned out so I must be burning them to long I've read other people saying they burn them for 5 sec

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Count by thousands. Pretty much guaranteed way to count.
Which glowplugs are you using?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I count 5 sec, crank about 3 revolutions, and then glow it again for 5 sec. If it's really cold out, I may hold it 7 sec or so. It usually fires the second time, never fires on the first try. If it's really cold it may take 3 tries. I never crank crank crank for a long time. If it doesn't fire after cranking for a couple of seconds I don't grind on the starter, I just stop and glow it a little bit again.

Remember; If you have a air intrusion problem, it will fire up for a couple of seconds and then quit, never to start again unless you do a lot of cranking. That's because air will not get in the hard lines after the injection pump, so it will run just for a second on that fuel, till that runs out.

If it's not hitting a lick from the very beginning, you have another problem, especially if there is a bunch of stinky white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe while you are cranking.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I count 5 sec, crank about 3 revolutions, and then glow it again for 5 sec. If it's really cold out, I may hold it 7 sec or so. It usually fires the second time, never fires on the first try. If it's really cold it may take 3 tries. I never crank crank crank for a long time. If it doesn't fire after cranking for a couple of seconds I don't grind on the starter, I just stop and glow it a little bit again.

Remember; If you have a air intrusion problem, it will fire up for a couple of seconds and then quit, never to start again unless you do a lot of cranking. That's because air will not get in the hard lines after the injection pump, so it will run just for a second on that fuel, till that runs out.

If it's not hitting a lick from the very beginning, you have another problem, especially if there is a bunch of stinky white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe while you are cranking.

dont seem to hit a lick,but its 30-40's here and i dont plug it in... unless i hit it with a small shot of ether. then it fires right up... the odd thing was it never fires up then dies. it just becomes harder to start.. and its looking like its because i heat the glow plugs to long. all 8 are burned out for sure... i tested 2 with the test light method no light so i tired for the heck of it on the wiring to see if i got a glow and no light ether. i already ordered some more zd9s.the ones in there are only about 3 months old. i try not to use ether so thats not normal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ohm them.
Test light isn't a guaranteed method. Especially depending on the quality of the test light.

I would start by completely redoing the glowplug system first. Especially if you want to keep running a pushbutton setup.
Problem could very well be the harness, relay, or power feed.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power feeds new about a year or so ago along with the relay volt gauge hardly moves when I turn then on now. I am a mechanic so I know all the basics just new o diesels

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The testlight is a pretty good test, especially when it doesn't light at all. It might light on a marginal glowplug, but if it doesn't light at all it's pretty much a guarantee that glowplug is bad.

The way I use my glowplugs may be a little bit conservative, but it's a good place to start learning what it takes to get the engine started without overdoing it. I have never plugged in my truck since I bought it. I don't want to pay the electric bill.

When you do the short term tries you know when it's going to start. During the next to the last try you can hear the engine kick over a little bit on one or two cylinders. So you know the next time you glow it for 5secs it's going to fire up. Just keep experimenting with it.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i put new glow plugs in, made a new glow plug harness with 10awg wiring everything soldered. moved the glow plug controller, but im not happy with where i put it, but happy with it not in the location banks puts it. heres a few pics of making the harness i didnt use fuse able link i just used plain wire
this are the terminals i used at the glow plugs i wanna design something else tho because that's a horrible way to make a good connect
You must be registered for see images attach

then i swelled the terminals up with a punch to fit the 10awg

terminal on wire before soldering

soldered

all 8 heat shrunk

all 8 single wires before getting things fitted

semi finished pic. sorry i skipped right over assembling the new harness into the new plastic loom but this was installed pass side

in this pic you can see where i located the wires for where i mounted the controller. but i don't like it and didn't get a completed pic.. i also rerouted the engine harness form having to run back by the turbo because the factory has glow plug harness in the same looms..

took franklin2's advice only heat for about 5 sec then crank..

today it was 9* out this morning. heated for 6 sec crank for about 4sec heated for 5 more sec and it came alive no block heater.

so i can say its fixed

Last edited: