Long Awaited First Start! (link to video)

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FINALLY! After almost two years working on it, my '89 7.3 turbo engine is running. Still a ways to go before it's ready to drive, but at least I've reached a major milestone. Thanks to everyone here for the support/advice/suggestions. It's finally bearing fruit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-2fwtPCVMQ&feature=plcp&context=C30fdf7fUDOEgsToPDskJtcsW1BaGsMXLo4Gpj-Zvt

Just uploaded to you tube.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1801509084405.103823.1440160216&type=1&l=0d94b33edd

Here's my facebook album with some background on what you're listening to.

In the next few weeks, I hope to have it back to driveable condition.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
;SweetReally happy to hear some engine sounds finally. Now to run the bugs out of it and dyno it... Semms like this is going to be a good year....;Sweet

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to see it running ;Sweet keep the update's coming, we all been waiting to see it hit the road. We need some performance numbers, like boost and Egt's and dyno slips :sly

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17.5:1 compression?? That thing must bear a baer to get started with compression that low.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing is way too advanced I think, but we'll see. Yes it was a (expletive deleted) to start. Had to use a nip of ether. Don't worry, not running glow plugs so it's safe. It is REALLY loud. Just sitting there running and revving it a few times, the turbo doesn't even begin to spool until about 2000 rpms. It doesn't really sound like an IDI anymore either. Once this thing is broken in, there will be a trip to the dyno...

I'm still in that anxious stage where I'm worried about it going "bang". I've built numerous engines for other folks, and they have all turned out well. Never one for myself though. Knock on wood, everything will be ok.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I wondered how it would spool. It might spool a bit better after you get it on the road and get a lil load on it. What did you do for your IP and injectors? How were they modded and how many CCs of fuel is the pump pushing?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and where is that braided steel line from the valve cover running too? And it sounds pretty sick!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The lines from the valve covers is the crd lines directly feeding the down pipe...

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For right now, I'm running a stock IP turned all the way up. Gonna run it that way for break in, then when I've got the coin, upgrade to something bigger. MUCH bigger. Yes, that's correct about the braided lines. It's a pan-e-vac kit you'd normally find on a gasser with headers.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That video made me feel thinks even the gf can produce!:eek:;Really:backoffcookoo