location for water temp gauge?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to install a mechanical temp gauge and the probe is too long to fit in the block is there another location that can be used my manual doesnt show a diagram of the block?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I have my probe in the factory over heat sensor on the drivers side. That way the factory gauge still works and so does my mech gauge

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have mentioned what vehicle this is in its a M1009 or a 1985 K5 blazer, all that is there is a overtemp alarm no gauge. What I pulled out was a sensor down in front of drivers side exhaust manifold, and the probe wont go in far enough to tightened down the bolt. So it sounds like there is another location that might work? I found another sensor on top of the engine on drivers side above the valve cover was thinking that its the oil pressure.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
oh my bad I just saw the thread off the homepage. I have no knowledge whatso ever on a chevy. please kindly disregard my post

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes international 6.9 and 7.3 idi has two locations someone was thinking. Thanks for the reply if I cant find another location I will have to get another gauge that has a shorter probe.

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
yes international 6.9 and 7.3 idi has two locations someone was thinking. Thanks for the reply if I cant find another location I will have to get another gauge that has a shorter probe.

how much too long is it? if you can, maybe just buy a longer adapter for screwing into the block to take up the slack.... also it is possible to put it on the back of the pass. head on top where water jacket has a cover bolted on... just drill and thread the cover.... should be good there.....;Sweet

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried to screw the probe directly in the block its 3/8 thread but its too long and the only adapter that came with cheapo from harbor freight was 1/2 thread. Thats what you get when you go cheaper should have purchased the sunpro from autozone its not much more but get this it comes with three adapters that should work with most engines. I cant take this back to harbor freight because I took the gauges of the bezel and modified them to find were the radio should go in the K5. Know were can I find these adapters that are inexpensive autozone has them for 17.99 thats a ripoff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online