load E 37s for the idi build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in a pickle with wheels and tires. Running a 8x170 axles. so either need 3.5" BS on anything less than a 16.5 or minimum 17" wheel.

Do alot of highway driving, some towing, lots of winter driving, some loose wet mud.

Longevity and winter traction are very important.

-custom built H1 24 bolt wheels with MTRs for approx 1750 shipped from stazworks (still waiting on final quote)
-black rock type 8 17" wheel with some other load E tire for pretty much the same price?

any input is appreciated.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you need double beadlocks? The 16.5 category is very small in comparison to the whole numbers. The h1 tires (MTR, Baja T/A and bias) plain out suck. They were designed for 12,000 lb hmmwv's. A 17" wheel would be a better choice.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hav ebeen looking hard at 17s now, Cooper discoverer ST MAxx. one of the few M & S rated tires I have found.
Load D, but still caryy 3600# a piece.
can get 4 shipped for 1200$

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out toyo or nitto. Same company but I like the trail grappler for looks and the toyo m/t for durability. Apparently at 50% tread they wear like iron. Not biased towards brands, but I got 37" on my rig so I feel your pain on selection

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nittos are $$, the thing with Toyoa M/T i assume they will be loud on the road and probably not the best in the snow comapred to an M&s tire?

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
PHP:
X2 on the military MT!!!!!!!!! I'm trading my 37" military MT's for a set of 315/75r16 BFG all terrains this coming Sunday. They won't keep balance for anything and they just plain SUCK in the snow. I've had em down to 3 psi in some rocks last weekend and the sidewalls won't flex and conform to anything. IMHO, the BFG AT is the best all-around tire I've driven and hands down the BEST tire in any snow and are friggin great on hard pack and ice.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im concenred with sidewall flex with a 37" D load tire. Some people say they tow a gooseneck and theye fine, others say the diewall flexes out and is a swervy ride...any insight?

I hardly tow, but when I do i want to tow 10k and have a stable ride.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
37x12.50x17 hankook dynapro MT is still a D rating but its 4080lbs at 65psi which is better than most 50psi ratings.

pretty beefy tire.

Im in a pickle with wheels and tires. Running a 8x170 axles. so either need 3.5" BS on anything less than a 16.5 or minimum 17" wheel.

Do alot of highway driving, some towing, lots of winter driving, some loose wet mud.

Longevity and winter traction are very important.

-custom built H1 24 bolt wheels with MTRs for approx 1750 shipped from stazworks (still waiting on final quote)
-black rock type 8 17" wheel with some other load E tire for pretty much the same price?

any input is appreciated.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seen these..hows snow traction?
also theyre 50 bucks more a pop plus shipping vs the coopers. treaddepot does stock hancooks. they seem to have the best price on tires I have found.

also on hancooks site it says max load rating is 3650 at 65 psi FYI.

I have no issue with this load rating, but concenred with sidewall flex. I dont want them feeling squishy towing a trailer.

am i asking too much from a 37?

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I have 37" Military MT/R's on my truck and could not be happier with them. I have them on recentered H1 8 bolts (not ideal, I know) with the rubber runflat/beadlock insert. I have not balanced them AT ALL, and they roll down the road just fine with only a slight bit of shimmy.

Edit:: Mine are also the Load Range E version with something like a 5400lb weight rating per tire. Or 4500? I don't remember.

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 37" Military MT/R's on my truck and could not be happier with them. I have them on recentered H1 8 bolts (not ideal, I know) with the rubber runflat/beadlock insert. I have not balanced them AT ALL, and they roll down the road just fine with only a slight bit of shimmy.

Edit:: Mine are also the Load Range E version with something like a 5400lb weight rating per tire. Or 4500? I don't remember.

X2. Mine are the Load Range D on regular 16.5' wheels. I have beads in them to help balance. I love them so far but I dont haul very much at all anymore.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the 37"Goodyear Military MT. Not had a problem with them yet. We don't get alot of snow here so I can't speak for that but I do know that they can be siped which helps tremendously in the rain and snow. I have towed close to 12k lbs a half dozen times without any problems.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i dont know where your looking but i was on hankook tires website and thats what it said.. heres a screen shot

You must be registered for see images attach

seen these..hows snow traction?
also theyre 50 bucks more a pop plus shipping vs the coopers. treaddepot does stock hancooks. they seem to have the best price on tires I have found.

also on hancooks site it says max load rating is 3650 at 65 psi FYI.

I have no issue with this load rating, but concenred with sidewall flex. I dont want them feeling squishy towing a trailer.

am i asking too much from a 37?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online