Lifted PSD's

B

Big K

I know that there have to be quite a few of you who've lifted their trucks. Not being familliar with exactly what years/models this affects, let me throw it out for your consideration.

Last year I spent most of my Sat. repairing my neighbor's '00 F-350 4x4 PSD. Truck is equipped w/a 4" lift and 35's.
He stopped by on Friday after calling from Les Schwaub, where he was having his tires rotated. He told me that they had spotted a small crack on the shock mount, and asked if I thought I could weld it up. I told him that it shouldn't be a problem, and to bring it by.

After crawling underneath to look, I summoned him so he could see the damage for himself. The lower track bar bracket is welded to the front axle housing, and incorporates the shock mount and spring/u-bolt perch. There is about 10-12 linear inches of weld connecting the bracket to the axle housing. About 1.5 inches remained intact. :eek: He had thought that the truck was wandering a bit. ;)

We repositioned, rewelded, and added additional bracing. I was concerned that we might discover a new stress point over time, but so far so good.

In subsequent conversations with others more knowledgeable about this problem, it seems that it's not uncommon. I have also been told that there is a lowering bracket for the upper mount that became available after this problem started to show up. I hear that it cures this angularity/overstress issue.

I truly don't know how common this is, or if it's common knowledge among the PSD crowd, but thought I'd mention it so that you guys could let me know what you think.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
I put 6" of lift under mine ..but I can't say as though I've heard of this happening before..I will check mine tonight for Cracks.. Thanks fr the heads up.

You must be registered for see images

BigStroker

Koolege Stoodent
Reaction score
I know on the 95-97 F250's when you installed a lift with the drop axle pivot brackets they tend to crack.

Mine was makin a poppin noise under the front and I never could find it....finally located it.....2 of the 4 bolts holdin the bracket on had broken and fallin out:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigTP
I know on the 95-97 F250's when you installed a lift with the drop axle pivot brackets they tend to crack.

Mine was makin a poppin noise under the front and I never could find it....finally located it.....2 of the 4 bolts holdin the bracket on had broken and fallin out:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What are you calling the Drop Axel Pivit Bracket???

B

Big K

Originally posted by BigTP
The two brackets that hang down in the center of the truck that hold the axle on the truck

Sorry, I'm still :confused:

B

Big K

You mean Twin I-Beam, right Muddy? Or is that Twin Traction Beam?

That may narrow down the application for this problem. The situation I was dealing with was F-350 w/live axle.

How about the F-250's? are they live, or TIB/TTB? What years if so?

That's why I said I don't know enough about this. I'm willing to learn.

THX

BigStroker

Koolege Stoodent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K
You mean Twin I-Beam, right Muddy? Or is that Twin Traction Beam?

That may narrow down the application for this problem. The situation I was dealing with was F-350 w/live axle.

How about the F-250's? are they live, or TIB/TTB? What years if so?

That's why I said I don't know enough about this. I'm willing to learn.

THX
On the 94-97 F250's you have a TTB(Twin Traction Beam) or IFS suspention. You have two brackets that drop down to hold the axle to the truck.

One the 94-97 F350's you had a mono beam Dana 60 axle.

MUDDY

Reaction score
and all 99 up f250s and f350s used the solid front dana 50. dana 60 on 450/550s. [last couple yrs all used dana 60]

MUDDY

Reaction score
only probs i had on my 3 f350s, 4 in lift, i had dropdown bracket for trac bar. no cracks but i couldnt keep em tight. loosen up and severe death wobble. lota leverage there and over time i would expect cracks

attachment.php

Last edited:
B

Big K

Me too, sorry, forgot about the TTB. Was thinkin' all live axle, even though I know better. Don't play w/them Fords much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online