Lift pump?

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I think my lift pump is going bad. Should I replace it with a new lift pump or a electric pump? How would I wire up the electric pump?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump depends on you.
Mechanical pump $25-$30. So its cheap and simple. As long as the motors turning over its working.

Good electric $75-$150 More expensive but can help with air intrusion and possibly last longer depending on the pump. More complicated and you have to install wiring from scratch.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What makes you think your lift pump is failing. Is it wet from fuel or is their another issue. Look for the test procedures to see if the pump is really failing. You remove the valve core from the schrader valve. Thats the inner tube looking vent on the filter head. then remove the fuel shutoff wire on the top of the injection pump. Thats the large spade connector. Now pumper the fender mounted starter solenoid and crank for 15 seconds I think. Catch the fuel in a can or container you have. Measure what you have. I don't recall for sure how much you need to see but I believe its 1 pint in 15 seconds of cranking. Someone with more info can help out here. Just hang around a bit.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've been having to bleed the air outta the fuel filter and ip a lot latley bc of leaky return lines and when I press in the sheater valve and crank the engine it doesn't seem to be pumping a lot if fuel and there is some air as well

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your engine is running fine once you have it started, then your lift pump is most likely fine. Fix your air intrusion issue first!

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the air leak fixed yesterday and she is running like a champ but drinking a lot of fuel it going to get a new ip soon anyone close to Tuscarawas county ohio that has a timing meter I can barrow? Thanks

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my POS truck doesn't want to run right again last time I had it running it was running rough an was loping after it's been runing for 30 mins so it's goo and warm but it was still Doing this

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around 1/4 tank give it take some

Put more fuel in see if that fixes things....could be sucking air...shower head pickup in tank falls off and then you are toast...

plenty of threads on how to fix that too...SEARCH is your friend...

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay and hey i have a question? With lift pump failure would it run fine when it's running but loose prime when you shut it off?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ye. That can happen if the lift pump check valves hang open. then the fuel will siphon out of the filter causing long cranking and hard starts.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay that is exactly what mine is doing runs perfect when it's running but it you shut it off for 5 mins and go to restart it, it will start up them stall out with the ip and fuel filter full of air. Truck also is using a lot of fuel and I noticed the area around the lift pump is wet, would it seep fuel out if the valves are sticking? Is there anyway to unstick the valves or just better off to change the pump? Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the lift pump is wet looking you have an external leak. check the rubber hose for cracks or simply replace the lift pump. Be careful installing the replacement pump. the arm must be under the cam lobe or you will ruin the new pump if the rm is on top of the lobe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online