Lift for 2wd

1992camarors

Reaction score
Ok I want to lift my 86 Ford F250. I have F350 leaf springs out back. But what can I do to lift it up front? Are there any companines offering lift springs for these? I just would like a 2 inch lift, nothing crazy because it is just a 2 wheel drive.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're going to have to get creative on this one.
check out the offerings for the F150 4x4's since they use the same suspension geometry as the f250 2wd.
I've seen it done before, but I haven't seen a truck set up like that in years.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be TTB, right? Yep, there are lifts for 2wd trucks, I think Ruff Country makes setups in 2" and 4" variety, someone over at Full-Size Bronco (FSB) just installed the 2" one in his F150 not too long ago.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Send pictures when you are done, I love the prerunner look but haven't seen one in an old 3/4 ton version, that's a pretty cool unique set up, kudos for doing something different;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it won't be anything like a pre-runner tho, just the stock parts with longer brackets. Pre-runner stuff requires different I-beams and bars, but again a few people on FSB have done it

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some Bilstien 5100's and some bent beams will do wonders, my GF's 86 F150 has that lift and i am quite jealous of it, so much i think i might do the same thing on mine. But you can also look into long travel kits, Camburg makes an extremely nice kit that ive been looking at, looks like a 2 inch lift also.

http://www.kartek.com/products/truck/frontsusp/ford/fordsusp.htm

I can take some pics of my GF's truck if you want to see it

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing pics of your girl's truck, as I have only a 2wd truck that I'd rather lift than lower. From that site you posted a link to I think just a Stage 1 will be good for me, but I'd still like to see it installed.

1992camarors

Reaction score
So you still retain the factory springs? I don't want to buy a front lift kit for an F150 with springs because I know well that they will not support the weight of our diesel engines.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the bent I-beams you will need longer springs, so stockers will be a no-go either way. Lift coils however are made in a number of stiffnesses, raging from fairly soft for offroad flexing to really freakin stiff, I had some 4" lift beasts on my '78 F150 (powered by a one fat pig of a big-block) and I didn't even need swaybars at freeway speeds, I could pull a 3-lane change at 75 mph and truck only slightly leaned, even the brand new SkyJacker shocks couldn't keep up with these springs. So I guess you'd be looking for some very stiff lift springs, I tried looking up on partsamerica.com what my F350 uses but there is no data for the springs (which is really odd), so can't recommend any particular rate... If I do find something I will let you know for sure tho.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you still retain the factory springs? I don't want to buy a front lift kit for an F150 with springs because I know well that they will not support the weight of our diesel engines.
let's try this again.
there is no available "kit" for what you want to do.
if you are looking for a box with all the goodies and a instruction sheet....forget it.
What you will need is the strut bar brackets and the I-beam brackets off a f150 lift kit or fab up something really close to it. for springs, you will need to drop by your local spring shop and have a set wound -or- use the appropriate spring spacer in between the frame and the spring. the good thing is that there are parts you can make work on this project, the bad part is there really isn't a plug-n-play kit for this.
nobody ever said being different was going to be easy.

1992camarors

Reaction score
So if I just bought some spring spacers, would this work without anyother modifications to the front suspension. Obiviosly I'll need a front end alignment done, but anything else?

ramon f350

Reaction score
The thing is with 2" spring spacers you probably wont be able to get the truck to align right due to the geometry of the front end being all jacked up. I hope you like my highly technical explanantion of that.... The most I could put on my truck was 1" spacers before it would not align correctly.... But then i ended up taking them bvack out because I had bad ball joints. one day I will get around to fixing it all again

Ramon

Ramon

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I just bought some spring spacers, would this work without anyother modifications to the front suspension. Obiviosly I'll need a front end alignment done, but anything else?
you change one part of the whole suspension, you'll need to adjust the rest accordingly.the "dropped" brackets are all part of the whole. note....if you go further than 2", you will need to get a dropped pitman arm too.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your best bet for a 2" lift is to take off your pivot brackets and make them 2" longer, also lower your spring buckets 2" as well and that is all you will have to do in the frt. but make sure you have good radious arm bushings. other then that you are good to go but i would suggest an alignment