lets talk idi's

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
The 6.9 can cavitate, but it usually takes them much much longer, if ever to do it. The 7.3 is a much riskier second hand purchase because of this. This "GAP" you describe, deserves a picture. How about it? Come to the Jimmy Cone event this Saturday, and we can talk in person.

where is that located at?

the gap is hefty, and i know it is far beyond the size of the headgasket. it is so bad compression when running is blowing out of it if you put your hand toward the rear of the motor

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys pretty much covered it with the 6.9. Cavitation can affect any diesel as I'm sure you know, but the 7.3s are bored too thin, plus Ford never added a warning about it in their owners manual or diesel supplement until 1991 or so, too late for many. If a 7.3 has had SCA maintenance or a good diesel rated ELC this should not be a problem, but many cooling systems get neglected or downright ignored. As a mechanic you know the story on that. Many owners of early Ford DIesels had no idea that their truck needed any kind of special upkeep. Many weekend warriors not hardcore diesel enthusiasts With the 6bt, I have heard that an adapter for the ZF-5 or C6 can be had, I bet one could be had for the T19 as well. You might even have some connections here you could get an adapter made relatively inexpensively.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill have to look into the adapter plates, i think i may try and go find a 2nd idi truck to have and drive, my tbird SUCKS in the winter, but ya, i have to look into a 6bt swap, i mean ******'s run good, not as powerful as a powerstroke, but you can definitly turn them up a bit...

ill have to yank the 6.9 and have a machine shop check the measurements on it for sure though before i go and buy any motors

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a very fair site for 6bt conversions if you want. it will really give you the infomation you need to make a decision that will work for you. even though it is possible to do the conversion, it is in the $6K+ range. there are adapters to do it all. PM me if you want the site.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, do you want me to come by and listen to it when i get back? I was by yuor place the other nught, but in a hurry trying to get away for vacation. I started to have some issues on my trip down as well.

92 F-350CC

Reaction score
All diesels are subject to cavitation, period. The 7.3 is more prone than the 6.9 due to the thinner cylinder walls. The coolant additive that ford recommends putting in the powerstroke (same block as the IDI) saves the Idi's too. I have done some extensive research about this before I went completely through my N/A 7.3 IDI in my 92. I sleeved all eight cylinders and put ceramic coated pistons and hardened wrist pins in mine so I can turbo it in a few thousand miles after the new pistons and bore are seated. The 7.3 IDI is a great motor, if you maintain the coolant and put in the fw-15 or some other anti cavitation additive it can run nearly forever. John