lets talk filters

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
fleetgaurd lube,fuel and coolant(i get them at cost ;Sweet ),K&N air and napa trans.
oh yeah,crest with whitening ,29 years and no cavities ;Sweet LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Guntherx said:
Doesn't anybody use FLAM? I mean FRAM?

Not on my wheel-barrow! I have had several, like 4 rupture on vehicles. None were high performance, two were on 3.8 Buick engines that don't even make much oil pressure!

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
those Donaldson filters are nice... they're making Amsoil's stuff now, i think, aren't they :confused:
I don't know, that mag was kind of confusing about that, then they came out with that eA line, and now they carry wix. I don't know. I really don't :rolleyes:
Am I the only person to never use a psd oil filter? Don't know why I haven't, just haven't.
James

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
those Donaldson filters are nice... they're making Amsoil's stuff now, i think, aren't they :confused:
highest_vision said:
I don't know, that mag was kind of confusing about that, then they came out with that eA line, and now they carry wix. I don't know. I really don't :rolleyes:

Im working on becoming an official Amsoil Dealer, just dont have the 100 bucks to shell out yet, But I have all the contact numbers. I will make some calls and see what I can dig up for U guys! Im looking to switch to full Amsoil synthetics in the spring, so being a dealer has its advantages. ;Sweet

And thanks for the Welcome F350Camper!
:draw

Seekers

Reaction score
Always used Fram oil, never had a problem
Always used Crest, never had a cavity or lost a tooth (51 years and counting)

Twin_diesels

Twin Diesels
Reaction score
Well, I've used Baldwins and Wix pretty religiously. Where I work they started using Fram filters. When winter came around and the trucks that were outside started, it collapsed the filters (as we found out at oil changes). I'll spend a couple extra bucks on the WIX, Baldwin or Napa (made by wix). I know Caterpillar used to have thier filters made by WIX, now by Baldwin. Cat's usually pretty particular about things.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Twin_diesels said:
Well, I've used Baldwins and Wix pretty religiously. Where I work they started using Fram filters. When winter came around and the trucks that were outside started, it collapsed the filters (as we found out at oil changes). I'll spend a couple extra bucks on the WIX, Baldwin or Napa (made by wix). I know Caterpillar used to have thier filters made by WIX, now by Baldwin. Cat's usually pretty particular about things.

Yep, the guts ball up like a big ball of newspaper. I am not sure if they have changed them (FRAM) but in the old days, a Wix rep would buy any filter you had in the parts store and cut it open. He would do likewise with any part number Wix filter and there were definite differences. The Fram filters element was supported by cardboard end pieces, Wix was metal - Fram had a bent flat plate that was collapsed in case of a filter clog situation, looked like a thin piece of sheetmetal while Wix used a coil spring and seal.

We also were one of three parts stores that sold a Wix Powerstroke filter with a manufacturing defect. It trashed the motor on the one we sold. Wix put the owner in a new Powerstroke rental while they repaired his truck. They installed a new crate motor from Ford and took care of the problem. The rep said the whole deal cost Wix over $20,000.00 yet they stood by their product. The threads inside the filter were not cut properly, allowing a drop in oil pressure. Anyway, they fixed all three trucks and the owner, a local farmer, still will not buy anything but a Wix filter. We had a Fram filter explode in the parking lot of the garage, they gave us a new filter...so as I said, a Fram won't go on my wheel barrow! Hopefully they have improved, but Fram has a bad habit of spending Big $$$ on advertising and not on R&D, Wix on the other hand was never even heard of by 90% of our DIY business.

Just my .02 worth.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
The idi gets either FL-1995 filters or Napa gold=wix Oil filters filled with Delo 400 15W-40

Baldwin sp-1222sp 1 piece fuel filters filled with stanadyne when changed

Baldwin spin on aux trans filter 20 micron filled with redline synthetic high temp mercon

K&N in the stock IDIturbo air cleaner housing (ATS)

And fleetguard coolant filters. wf-1227 with Fleetguard PG complete coolant with DCA4

Now the PSD's get

Fleetguard stratapore filters LF-3974 filled with delo-400 ran the venturi bypass LF-9027's for a while but didn't get any benefits using oil analisys

Ford AIS by donaldson air filters FA-1775

Mobil one ATF in trans and steering

The ford gassers get

FL-1A or LF3487 filters non catalyst trucks get delo-400 and trucks with Fuel Infection and cats get Mobil one.

The chevy gassers are lucky they get oil and usually just Napa filters.

ramon f350

Reaction score
it is always interesting to see what everyone uses. I think that I am going to keep using my baldwins or fleetguard filters. I have a wix fuel filter now but i think that I will either switch to baldwin ot fleetguard when it is time to change. right now I am using up our old stock from one of the wreckers that we jut got rid of.

Ramon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online