Lets Talk About U-Joints and Carrier Bearings

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Spicer u-joints and carrier bearing 1 1/2 years ago. I finally got them in today and I have no more squeaking :D
2 joints were greasable, the one that was dried out was sealed. There wasn't a single needle bearing in the cups.

There are 2 difference carrier bearings for my truck. Is the larger carrier bearing for the manual transmission vehicle?
Much to my surprise, my truck took the smaller bearing :rolleyes:

When I separated the slip shaft, the plastic slip on the splines broke into a bunch of pieces. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I have about 1/16" of play. It probably won't hurt anything, but I'm picky about my truck :D
I'm going to call the driveline shop and maybe the dealer Monday.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The carrier bearing differences are probably just for the different sized driveshafts. Like crew cab long bed may have a bigger diameter driveshaft vs a single cab long bed. Just a thought. Or as you said, auto vs manual.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a hold of a Drive shaft shop...likely have to live with missing blue slider plastic....sorry...

It's not a user replaceable part IIRC

salvagesavage

Reaction score
oh it will hurt things lol - your teeth will probably fall out lol
think your into a new or used shaft !! spicer sells new hehe ouch !!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "slip-yoke" IS a wear item and requires occasional replacement.

If one allows the outer "softer" portion of the slip-yoke to wear too long, then it will also ruin the harder splines of the welded-on portion, requiring it's replacement by having the weld cut apart on a lathe and the new splines then welded into the tube.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online