let me see youre duallys

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run 255/85R16's all around. They're taller and cut down the rpm, but aren't overly wide to hurt mpg. Plus they fit perfect in the back when dualled up.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking of using stock aluminum drw rims in the rear and srw aluminums in the front
then run 285 75 16s on the front and 235 85 16s on the rear all mud terrains
kinda thinking like a new dumptruck
and the tires would work in 4x4 because od is so close
you all like the idea? or have criticism just let me know
Diesel Brad actually mentioned this in another thread IIRC, but he found out that if you run four aluminum dually wheels on the rear axle the studs are too short - the factory two-piece lug nuts have 10 complete threads cut in them, Brad was able to use only 6 of those, that's 40% loss which is kinda scarey. He mentioned that running steel inner wheels corrected this issue tho. I run steel inners and outers but also 5/16" spacers between those for tire spacing purposes, and my lug nuts are at the very end of the hub studs (but still have all 10 of their threads engaged).

On the tires - 285/75-16 is too large in diameter compared to the 235/85-16, you'll run into an issue when you engage the 4wd. Use 265/75-16s on the front axle, they are nearly identical in diameter to the 235/85-16 and they're still an inch wider for that dump-truck look you're going for. I actually have 265/75-16s on my steer axle, they are the highway-rib tread design and they're still slightly wider than the all-terrain 235/85-16s I got on the drive axle...

Also, I mentioned my wheel spacers - my 235/85-16 tires would touch sidewalls at the bottom when I loaded my camper in the bed, so keep in mind that when you go shopping for wheels - you need the higher-offset dually wheels if you gonna run the 235s, most dually wheels you'll find tho are from 2wd trucks and are the kind with the less offset - which is why I'm running the spacers, cause I couldn't find even one 4x4-specific dually wheel.

No offense to anyone here but i dont think a standard cab dually will ever look good to me.
Well I can say the same about ext-cab dually Fords, or really any ext-cab Fords for that matter - but you know what they say about opinions :angel:

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Brad actually mentioned this in another thread IIRC, but he found out that if you run four aluminum dually wheels on the rear axle the studs are too short - the factory two-piece lug nuts have 10 complete threads cut in them, Brad was able to use only 6 of those, that's 40% loss which is kinda scarey. He mentioned that running steel inner wheels corrected this issue tho. I run steel inners and outers but also 5/16" spacers between those for tire spacing purposes, and my lug nuts are at the very end of the hub studs (but still have all 10 of their threads engaged).

On the tires - 285/75-16 is too large in diameter compared to the 235/85-16, you'll run into an issue when you engage the 4wd. Use 265/75-16s on the front axle, they are nearly identical in diameter to the 235/85-16 and they're still an inch wider for that dump-truck look you're going for. I actually have 265/75-16s on my steer axle, they are the highway-rib tread design and they're still slightly wider than the all-terrain 235/85-16s I got on the drive axle...

Also, I mentioned my wheel spacers - my 235/85-16 tires would touch sidewalls at the bottom when I loaded my camper in the bed, so keep in mind that when you go shopping for wheels - you need the higher-offset dually wheels if you gonna run the 235s, most dually wheels you'll find tho are from 2wd trucks and are the kind with the less offset - which is why I'm running the spacers, cause I couldn't find even one 4x4-specific dually wheel.

Well I can say the same about ext-cab dually Fords, or really any ext-cab Fords for that matter - but you know what they say about opinions :angel:

I love my ext cab but its second to a CCLB. CCLB is perfect to me. ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 doors are nice indeed, but they turn around like an aircraft carrier... Oh wait, so does my RCLB, darn that bumper I built for it, lol

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 doors are nice indeed, but they turn around like an aircraft carrier... Oh wait, so does my RCLB, darn that bumper I built for it, lol

I feel you on the turning radius, my ECLB is just as bad. Its the only thing that -cuss about the truck. Other than that im in :love:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tires are close within an inch
the 285 75 16s i already have on it so they will be close to the 235's i will buy new
also the 4x4 is only used when its really loose such that the rears wont grip anyway

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long is that trailer ? 25' Maybe. Ill take the white knight

Yup 25', just sold it. Still got the White Knight tho. Still have to put the front back on one of these days.

Attachments

• DSCF0931.JPG
    DSCF0931.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 6

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Can't beat the stocky look of a regular cab dually I think.

You must be registered for see images attach

Plus a DIY dually is more fun too

Adrianspeeder

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn I love the looks of the '70s duallies - well I do love the '70s trucks anyways, but the duallies are like the cat's meow to me :D

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 doors are nice indeed, but they turn around like an aircraft carrier...

You should try my standard cab!:eek: :D :rotflmao And if I ever get my front bumper built it'll add atleast another foot to the front.LOL:D If it was much longer it would be easier to drive a school bus!

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, so far, love my dually. It's not an IDI though, but it is the OBS. Hopefully getting the body straight and painted come springtime.

Speaking of springs, I think I have too many. Here's before I got the bed on:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should try my standard cab!:eek: :D :rotflmao And if I ever get my front bumper built it'll add atleast another foot to the front.LOL:D If it was much longer it would be easier to drive a school bus!
My bumper already sticks out a foot in front of the truck, and I'm gonna make it stuck out more soon cause I'm gonna hang my second spare wheel on it too in order to at least partially counter the weight of the camper that may or may not happen to be occupying the bed. But the reason the bumper limits my turning radius is actually not its size, but rather the angle at which the supports run from its ends to the frame of the truck - when I measured and welded them the truck was in the air with the tires hanging...

Speaking of springs, I think I have too many. Here's before I got the bed on:
You got some springs on her alright :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor