learned something new that might help some??

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just learned something that might help some and maybe something that everyone might check!!
My 92 Ford 7.3 was lacking power in my case quite bad and was actually having tranny issues.
I found out that my throttle cable had streached or maybe even to long to start as I had replaced the cable a couple of years ago so fairly new, that is why I didnt consider that as the problem. Also I over heated the engine at the same time that I had to put in the new cable and thought I hurt something in the motor which would make me have lack of power.

Anyway it was not pulling the throttle wide open. In my case just a little over half throttle.

It was sugested to put fishing weight split shot between the cable and foot pedel to take up slack, I did that and now I feel like I have a new truck.

So I'm thinking some of you that lack power maybe??????

Just thought I would share.

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used just about every contrivance known to man to take up slack in tiny cables, but I never gave split-shot fishing sinkers a thought until now.

Good idea and thanks for posting it. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And while we are on the subject, it never hurts to put a little lite machine oil on the cable at either end if you can get it in, and also lubricate the external moving parts of your injection pump.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
You know what I might have the same problem. I went out and looked at my go pedal and there appears to be two parts on the cable where the pedal can pull from and its slipped past the first one and now pulling on the second one. I also think my pedal is broken b/c the pin it hinges on has lost its rivet and doesnt hinge well. Does Ford still make a pedal assembly for these trucks do you know?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And while we are on the subject, it never hurts to put a little lite machine oil on the cable at either end if you can get it in, and also lubricate the external moving parts of your injection pump.

I went even farther than that due to necessity.

My accelerator cable got the bad habit of freezing up while driving in ice-cold weather.

This went on for about five winters, getting progressively worse.

No amount of heat-gunning and WD-40ing was doing the trick.

So, I completely removed the whole cable from the truck; about a ten-minute or less job; not nearly so intimidating as one would think.

I hung the cable straight up and down behind the wood-stove, chunked up the fire, and kicked the dampers open.

I put an empty can under the bottom end of the cable, so to catch any drips and run-off.

I first started squirting WD-40 in at the top, until a pretty good stream of it was pouring through at the bottom, working the cable in and out occassionally.

Then, I left it alone, so that the heat from the stove could really soak into it.

After a couple hours, I started squirting clean 15W-40 engine-oil into the housing at the top, giving each squirt plenty of time to soak in.

I kept this up until a had it really dripping good out the bottom, working the cable in and out after each squirt.

It works so good now that I forget it's even there. ;Sweet

This trick also works for park-brake cables. ;Really

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I just added 100hp to my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy about this!!!!!! Ok lastbugle I did something similar to what you did. I took my bolt cutters and sniped a washer to resemble a split washer and put it behind the first catch point on my throttle cable where the pedal catches it. Before the pedal was slipping by this one and catching on the end of the cable, effectively losing an inch of cable. I can now go above 70mph and was actually accelerating up hills!! Thanks so much. Its amazing something that cost less than a penny could have such an impact. The only down side is my fuel economy is going to SUCK now

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added 100hp to my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy about this!!!!!! Ok lastbugle I did something similar to what you did. I took my bolt cutters and sniped a washer to resemble a split washer and put it behind the first catch point on my throttle cable where the pedal catches it. Before the pedal was slipping by this one and catching on the end of the cable, effectively losing an inch of cable. I can now go above 70mph and was actually accelerating up hills!! Thanks so much. Its amazing something that cost less than a penny could have such an impact. The only down side is my fuel economy is going to SUCK now

It would be interesting to know just how many will run out and check their throttle-travel after reading your post. LOL

gatorman21218

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know just how many will run out and check their throttle-travel after reading your post. LOL

LOL Yeah I mean it was like walking around all your life with 10lbs ankle weights on and then taking them off. Ive had this truck for 2 years and its like a brand new truck now. Oh and its at least twice as loud as before:sly

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I used to post this on TDS alot and no one seemed to get it.

Especially when guys would talk about turning up there IP but still not getting any power or smoke.

Kind of hard to get power when your only pulling 2/3 to 3/4 of your throttle.

It was one of the first things I did to my truck since I've had a couple Bronco IIs that had the same problem.

I thought of the split shots too but they are lead so I wasn't sure they would hold.

What I used were Brass cable stops that crimp on. They were from some old commercial fishing gear I had but I think you can get them at home improvement stores.

I did the split washer trick posted before on the e-brake cable to balance the two sides. You have to cut the end to do the brass cable stop and I didn't want to do that on the e-brake cable.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought of the split shots too but they are lead so I wasn't sure they would hold.

Ever since I was a wee lad, the hardware stores have carried various sizes of cable ends and double-cable "crimps", from little bitty guitar-string sizes to big old ship anchor sizes, all made of lead.

I am certain there must be some proper device for installing/crimping them; but, I have used them many times, repairing park-brake cables and such, and all I ever did was to lay the lead "crimp" on the anvil and smack it a couple times with a hammer; I have never had one slip.

The advantage of the split-shot is that it can be applied without the cable end being threaded through it. ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A helper is needed for that tho, unless a convenient broomstick is available to jam between the go pedal and the seat. I will be checking mine tomorrow actually, as lately she feels quite low on power...

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A helper is needed for that tho, unless a convenient broomstick is available to jam between the go pedal and the seat. I will be checking mine tomorrow actually, as lately she feels quite low on power...

also dont have the truck running...or its wide open throttle...and scary with that fan spinnin right there!!:rotflmao

one of the first things I did with the van was to order a new cable..my napa had it in stock for $60..

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I just learned something that might help some and maybe something that everyone might check!!
My 92 Ford 7.3 was lacking power in my case quite bad and was actually having tranny issues.
I found out that my throttle cable had streached or maybe even to long to start as I had replaced the cable a couple of years ago so fairly new, that is why I didnt consider that as the problem. Also I over heated the engine at the same time that I had to put in the new cable and thought I hurt something in the motor which would make me have lack of power.
Anyway it was not pulling the throttle wide open. In my case just a little over half throttle.

It was sugested to put fishing weight split shot between the cable and foot pedel to take up slack, I did that and now I feel like I have a new truck.

So I'm thinking some of you that lack power maybe??????

Just thought I would share.

It's funny, I did the same thing to my truck a couple of weeks ago. I guess I should have posted it, then I would've been the hero.LOL It feels like I have twice the power. It would take me damn near a mile to get up to 60, I figured the i.p or the fuel pump was going out. Then I crimped a lead sinker on there removing some slack from the cable, and wouldn't you know it, I have a new truck.:sly

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I've had to do that to two gas vehicles, drove my mustang for 2 years with only half throttle. I think I will go check my truck, just to see if there is any slack in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online