Leaky Fuel Selector Solenoid. How to fix?

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I am pretty sure my air intrusion is coming from the fuel selector valve.

Will I need a new one or just seals somewhere?

Thanks!!
Nick

p.s. I ran the truck isolated to a diesel container and it runs fine. Little to no smoke and holds tight when I turn it off. No leaks.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
are ya shure its not the fittings on the lines?
if ya need a selector valve I have a new ford one for sale.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I'll be taking a set of tank fittings off today and running one tank straight to the engine. If that fixes my carbonated water looking fuel, I'll try replacing the fittings. Then if that works, GREAT! If not I'll look into the tank pickup. If that does it then I know it's not the solenoid. But both tanks give the same bubbles. So my guess is solenoid area.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
At this point I've had enough leak searching. I just bypassed the solonoid (selector valve) and put a clear fuel line from the rear tank hose that goes to the selector valve to the output hose that goes to the engine. I had to do some cutting of ends to do this. But I still see a big pocket of air in the clear line even when the trucks running.

Enough messing around. I'm going to take down the tanks and replace all the fuel lines/pickups.

Where can I buy the replacement parts? Or should I just use plain old 3/8" fuel hose?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
lines from the tanks to the selector and then to the engine can be had premade from ford.
other option is a garage that has the kit to make nylon lines abd attach the ends and run all nylon.
other option is to use 3/8" hose , but the delema is that the factory hard line is 5/16.
you could also do like I did on my 84 and use hose, then stainless for the hard lines.