Leaking injectors??

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
When My truck sits at work for about 12 hrs and I go to restart it it will belch white smoke while cranking, fire off, then give a puff of white every now and then. This is with no GP's. Now today when I started it I never touched the fuel pedal before cranking, it cranked for about 15 sec (WAYYYYY longer than usual), all the while completely filling the parking lot with white smoke. Then as soon as it started it revved itself up to 2100 RPM without me touch ing the pedal yet, then dropped back to a rough idle (air in fuel system or leaky injector).

My question is would a ******* injector cause this problem, the white smoke being caused by the cylinder being washed out with fuel then that leading to the mineature run-away I experienced?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... Your injection pump is about to give up the ghost on you. Sorry for the expensive bad news. A leaker will wash down a cylinder but it will cause a miss too on startups.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Yea, sorry, I forgot to mention it does miss at idle when it's cold. It also as a kinda rough idle once warmed up.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
That's exactly what my old IP did before it finally died. Too bad you're so far away from me or I'd offer ya my spare IP that only has 19k on a full rebuild.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Any sign of leaking at the weap hole when cold? All the stanadyne DB-2 pumps that failed on me were either leaking from the weap hole before they went or they quit starting when hot....heat soak. Never had a miss with a pump failure besides the few seconds it took for the pump to purge the air drawn in from the leaky weap hole.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I got two IP's one of which I just took off the truck 3000 mi ago, I raplaced it with a Uhaul IP a month befre the Rally. It isn't leaking any fuel from the weep hole so I'm thinking I wasn't quite clean enough when I dissasembled the injectors to put the shims in.

Is there any way to clean them, like spray them out with Brakleen once dissasembled?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online