Latest tip from our Pete dealer.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, #1(the boss's ride) was in for some tranny work. The shop boss told him that we were running the wrong fuel/water filter.

We were running the Donaldson P551000, which is listed for Cummins. That is what was suggested to run, about a year ago, when we were running the P550105.

The new deal is a Cat #175-2949. The boss said the noticed a difference, in power, fuel pressure, and filter vacuum, just on the way home from the shop. He said the engine seems to run out better, and just feels better.

I've been changing them out, as the trucks come through, but haven't had any other data back, for mileage comparisons, or general 'feel'.

Just thought I'd mention it, for you guys running the big Cats.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I never had a Cat Filter in that location, even from the dealer when it was delivered. Any idea what the luberfiner # might be. The place that does my oil changes doesn't carry the cat filter for that application. Oh, I pm'ed you an interesting story.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The next new thing to try, for mileage...

The next stupid pet trick, for trying to get mileage from these ACERT's....

Last week, we got word, from Pete, and Cat, that we should was at least 60 seconds, before starting the engine, after turning the key to the 'ON' position.

Supposedly, it takes the computer that long to run diagnostic on all the independent components.

One of our guys has been trying it, for about a week not, and claims that he's over 6mpg, for the 1st time, since the truck was new.

Just wanted to pass this along to, for you guys to try. Anything that saves even 1/2 a mpg is worth it, right?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
you have GOT to be kidding me :eek: I kiss the fu*&^%ing hood every morning & still get no better than 4.8MPG. I'll give it a shot though. Here's a new problem to look for. Mines being fixed as I type this. If you get reports from the drivers of a low power condition when cold & the check engine light pops for 5 seconds & goes away, not to come back on for the rest of the day, & the truck feels sluggish on the road, check the injector wiring harness. Mine came loose & was damaged internally which throws the code at start up & derates as long as the truck is running. At times it will pull OK then other times it runs like crap. Gotta love the ACERT!!! And I thought I had all the bugs worked out -cuss