L.E.D. dash light kit?

Danoflapper

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing something similar to this. I've got a couple of burnt out bulbs. How difficult is it to change the bulbs? Do you do it from behind the dash or does it need to be taken apart? Thanks.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing something similar to this. I've got a couple of burnt out bulbs. How difficult is it to change the bulbs? Do you do it from behind the dash or does it need to be taken apart? Thanks.

It's pretty easy, the hardest part is usually getting the headlight knob off. Pop off(I use a small flathead screwdriver) the trim strips to get to the screws underneath, then the rest is retained by spring clips so just pry it off gently. Disconnect the tank selector switch and warning light harness and move the cover out of the way. The cluster is held in with a few screws, then you can pull it out far enough to unplug it. Then just swap your bulbs and reinstall. The only thing you have to be really careful about is not laying the cluster face down, there is a liquid in it that can leak out and ruin your guages.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
What part number for the bulbs do I need to do this job? So I'll need 7 of 'em?

Then I think I'll just cross reference the bulbs for the dome light, cargo lamp, and license plate illuminating ones.

Thanks for the help and inspiration!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
On superbrightleds.com, the part number is WLED-x5. You will need 5 of them for the cluster, and 2 for the HVAC panel. The HVAC panel is pretty easy to get to as well.

Remove the radio, remove trim strip, remove screws retaining the trim plate around the HVAC panel, then remove the HVAC panel. I was able to get the bulbs in the HVAC panel without disconnecting it.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I see that someone else has answered on this. I checked and was finally able to dig it up this morning. It does indeed take 5 for the cluster according to the diagram. I am not sure on the other as I am fishing through the diagrams aimlessly.

SWS

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part number for the bulbs do I need to do this job? So I'll need 7 of 'em?

Then I think I'll just cross reference the bulbs for the dome light, cargo lamp, and license plate illuminating ones.

Thanks for the help and inspiration!

Please post those other part numbers (and approx. prices) after you find them out. Thanks

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The bulbs I used(WLED-x5) in mine cost $3.74 each. The red/amber are $2.99, but the other colors cost $.75 -$1.15 extra.

I think the cargo light is a 921 bulb, part number 921-x9 will run $1.95-$3.80 depending on color.

I dont know what the dome/map lights use, I'll have to check them out later.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
Sweet, Thanks!

I pulled my cargo light off yesterday and yep they're 921s. Two of the three lights were burnt out, and one of them was all melted and deformed - the cargo light fixture is melted where that bulb was. Looks like it's time to hit up Pick-A-Part

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Sweet, Thanks!

I pulled my cargo light off yesterday and yep they're 921s. Two of the three lights were burnt out, and one of them was all melted and deformed - the cargo light fixture is melted where that bulb was. Looks like it's time to hit up Pick-A-Part

Post a picture ot the part you need, I have a spare, but I'm not sure if yours being a crew cab makes a difference.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
It's still usable, just gives me an excuse to go to the junkyard. Thanks for the offer though.

Right now I need new brake lines up front, so I'm going to put the lights on hold until I'm done with the brakes. That way I don't have my small amounts of money tied up.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Every ford truck I have owned with a cargo light has melted the housing. May be better off using a smaller 194 type bulb instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online