Knock Knock

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get things going , get rid of that oil cooler and put one on with AN fittings.. These engines ave too much pressure for a standard worm gear clamp. The only thing that kept it on this long was the hose, once the hose weakened it was a disaster waiting to happen. There are some clamps out there that would hold with the proper high pressure hose, but they dont sell them at parts stores.

Oh it'll definitely be getting changed!

The new is in and...it's allll BAD!

Thing sounds ok, slight knock at idle. Rev it up and it sounds like a bag of ********. It died after and wouldn't restart. Sucks, especially since winter just started. Time to prep the spare to go in and start ordering new goodies. Figures, just got my guages in the other night and didn't even get to use them yet.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks man. Sorry to hear that.

Once you get it out and torn down........... please post up some photos of what you find.

Heath

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm curious to see what it looks like. Pretty sure it threw a rod. I started it tonight and ran it for a few minutes. It sounded ok but almost better. Then I heard something getting louder and before I could get out for a listen it locked up completely. Great, now I can't even drive it around the yard...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should of stayed home working on your truck instead.

tough break, I had a few of them days well actually years!

Javier

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Speaking of hose clamps..................My Jetta Diesel is modified and I had a big problem with my one boost hose (30 PSI) blowing off every couple of days. I tried every kind of clamp including a T-bolt clamp. Problem was flange was too short for a wide T-bolt clamp and would not compress hose enough.

I went to West Marine (was close) and got a clamp they sell. Looks like a regular worm drive clamp but the inside is smooth and does not have cut out windows that cut into hose and is 100% stainless steel. The clamping power is much greater and it does not harm the hose. They are pricey ( 7 bucks for a 3")

Part of the problem with anything diesel is oil soaks the rubber layers of the hose after time and when that happens hose can slip off easily if under pressure. When I notice a hose getting really soft, I just replace it or cut back to better hose if possible.

Sure wish I knew the actual name of the that kind of clamp and could buy an assortment kit of them to keep around.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Go back to West Marine and ask what the hose clamp is called or do some online research..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go back to West Marine and ask what the hose clamp is called or do some online research..
With all due respect to the people who work at that West Marine, as someone who used to work at a West Marine store, it's more likely than not that they won't know. Training at West Marine is minimal at best. But, if you can get their SKU number for the clamp (should be on the receipt), you might be able to look at their online catalog for a description of it, and that might tell you...? :dunno

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started to disassemble my spare IDI tonight. Got it on the stand before the weekned. I just have the fan clutch, exhaust manifold and injectors to pull. I pulled the driver's valve cover and it looked really clean inside. NO sludge build up. The original plan was to build it up some: cam, studs, turbo, pump, throw new bearings/rings in it etc. but I just want it done ASAP and funds are little tighter than I was expecting.

I'm going to reseal it but wondering how far I should go. It looks like it's just leaking from the valve covers, oil cooler, and oil pan. Also wondering if I should just replace the water pump since it's out of the truck. It supposedly had 180k miles. I was going to pull the accessories from my other engine since it was all good. Probably buy new sensors too.

Not sure what color I want to paint it either. I'd like to avoid black so I can identify future leaks easier.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The senders will be costly. I see no reason to replace them. The water pump.. Sure. Be careful about the top and bottom bolt lengths and use thread sealant on those 4 because they enter the oily side of the engine. You can look thru the cover and see that. Might want to bolt up the old pump and see how far the bolts sticks thru the cover for others referance pics.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
The senders will be costly. I see no reason to replace them. The water pump.. Sure. Be careful about the top and bottom bolt lengths and use thread sealant on those 4 because they enter the oily side of the engine. You can look thru the cover and see that. Might want to bolt up the old pump and see how far the bolts sticks thru the cover for others referance pics.

I took my front cover off and ground the 4 nuts off that hold the water pump on. I got 4 grade 5 bolts and stuck them through the cover from the backside and welded the heads to the cover. So now when I pull the water pump its easy to align it up, I dont have to worry about sealing the threads or having the bolts hit the timing gear. I also dont have to worry about stripping the threads out of the nuts, which is the original reason I did all this.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't gotten any steady work done on the engine and truck unfortunately. It's been sitting with the nose off for a couple months now. Got the oil cooler and water pump off the blocks. I started to clean up the pan and found some pin holes so I ordered a new one and a new water pump. Found the color I'm going to use. It's Duplicolor wheel paint. I've used it before and it works excellent. Dries quick, stick great, and requires minimal prep work (not that I'm skimping out).

You must be registered for see images attach

Pretty Parts

Captains chairs I got CHEAP! wish they were gray but I'll figre something out. Power driver's seat! Would like to add heat to them.

I'm going to get a Champion radiator, DB starter, and probably order a new radiator support since mine was a bit crusty. Have to change the driver's radiator support bracket too since it all rotted but I have spares.

Last edited:

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a week off in two weeks that I'm going to finish the swap during. The old engine is almost out, just need to lift the cab up a little to get the turbo out. I had to wait on parts for my Bobcat so I can lift it out with that since I'm working in the dirt. I bought a set of wheels in the dark and I didn't think to check the inside of the wheel. One of them has a deep wear mark on the entire circumference of the inside. At one point it was so thin it was leaking and someone actually tried to JB weld it! I'm going to order my radiator and starter next week.

I found some unexpected rust as well. It's not too bad yet but I don't want it getting worse. I still have to check the upper floorboard area to see just how bad it is there. I was going to get the sounded deadening but I may just wait til next summer as my 89 is in rough shape now and I don't want to drive my car this winter.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my other engine in the truck and fired it up today! My uncle was away for a week so I used his shop to finish pulling the old engine and to get the "new" one in. I ended up getting a Valeo SMF and clutch kit since my old DMF and bearing were trash. My BRAND NEW lift pump was junk so I had to get a new one and my DB starter **** the bed after only a few cranks so I had to get another starter too. The new one, autozone reman unfortunately, heats up wayy too fast but it'll do for now. New Motorcraft glow plugs and connectors, new return lines, new aluminum radiator, new batteries and cleaned everything up as much as I could. She's running rough but I haven't run her long enough to even warm up so I'm thinking it's just air. I still have to put the radiator and radiator support in. I was going to patch the support but it's a bit rough. I'll just throw it back in and be on the lookout for a good one. Here are some pics.

I noticed this rather large hole in my driver's exhaust manifold of the old engine. Explains why I couldn't hear my turbo and why the truck felt slow.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score