kickin a dead horse

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havnt put one on my truck yet but i said id get back to ya when i learned more about the hho thing.

well... after messin with my bud's 06 cummins for a while he started to tell me about the hho gen we put on it. after putting some miles on it he said that he has noticed mpg gains while in town but on long interstate trips his gains are ZERO.

after a test run he showed me what he thinks causes this.

if youll notice that when you are driving in town. you will get on the gas then off again---when your decelerating your rpms are slowly falling keeping constant with vehicle speed but without giving it gas. the weight/momentum of the vehicle is turning the motor and alternator

he thinks this short amount of time is charging the battery "with no taxable drag to forward momentum" thus the next time he gives it gas he is using that "free" power untill the electrical drag of the hho gen catches up with the power he made (stored) on deceleration.

"regenerative braking" in a way

so... after my warranty dies im gonna hook up a hho kit in my tool box with its own battery,and solar panel and then wire up a switch that will send charging amps to my hho battery when the go pedal is in the neutral
position.
this way the hho battery will only cause parasitic drag when im decelerating or idling.
i think this will get me around the electrical drag problem and then when im at work the solar panel will top off the battery for my trip home.
it will require me to cover my entire tool box with solar panels though.
i think i need atleast 2 amps of solar power?(for recharging while im at work)

what do you guys think??

Last edited:

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i value your alls input here. what i want to do seems like a good idea that will work. and maybe later on down the road i will find a way to build enough hho to warrant a metering device without using the alternator....

design is still in the theory stage.

good, bad??
any one got a better idea or maybe a idea of how to hook up a relay to my throttle so that when im off the throttle it a power the relay that closes the circuit from hho battery to the alternator??

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've done a bit of reading on the HHO thing and there is very credible stuff written against it. If it worked it would almost be zero point tech which as far as I know if not possible today.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree-however i have not seen a write-up against it that took into account that your engine is not always being "worked" but rather sometimes "worked upon" by outside forces such as vehicular momentum on deceleration, like stated above. this kinda falls into the realm of regenerative braking and not zero point tech.
remember that a hho generator is not a pressurized unit but rather makes hho that is sucked into the engine when you accelerate.
decel-make hho
accel-use up the limited supply of hho
constant load-no gains, because you used up the hho build up during acceleration and now the generator is putting out less then what the alternator is taking away

im not trying to sell anyone a hho generator just letting you know that it works but only in stop and go traffic. is the gains worth the cost of buying the stuff...i dont know. i built his but it took me awhile and 2 or 3 mpg in the city could be gained just the same by backing off the go pedal alittle. but stuff like this is enjoyable and holds promise for future refinements that could give better results. i think the refinement needed is to make it a stand alone system that only draws from the engine when the engine isnt needed, such as deceleration. the system would need its own battery and a switch that will let that battery draw amps from the alternator only on deceleration and idle. over a long drive the draw from the gen would over come the gain from the switchable alternator but im looking at "getting to work mpg's" not "driving for hours" gains.
then the 2 solar panels would charge the battery back up for the drive home. starting the cycle over again.

but reading some of the wright ups on other forums by hho generator salesmen.I think that most of the guys sellng these things are pretty pushy and i think 99.9% of them are scammers. so i dont blame anybody for not beliving it because
1.the salesmen do not seem trust worthy at the least.
2.mpg gains are usually calculated on the interstate and without refinements the hho generator doesnt seem to work when under a constant load-physics 101
3. people usually listen to other people that say "nay" and then think that those who say "yes" are just trying to get attention.
4. the amps it takes to get hho production from the units some of these people are selling would make it impossible to see any gain. see ebay for what im talking about

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online