Key Switch Bypass

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think dash switches would be neat... but what do you guys do about the steering wheel lock?

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
I don't intend on driving or even trying to run the thing until I get the proper switch if I can even find one. I'm glad I asked otherwise I'd probably be one truck less, If not dead. Appreciate all the comments.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't intend on driving or even trying to run the thing until I get the proper switch if I can even find one. I'm glad I asked otherwise I'd probably be one truck less, If not dead. Appreciate all the comments.
do yourself a favor. disconnect your ground cables from your battery in the meantime. that switch is constant hot.

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
And being thats a constant hot, that would explain why my batts are always going dead because the friggen thing is grounding, I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, It all makes sense now, Thanks TOW!

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pm me with an address and i can have it in the mail tomorrow. shipping will likely be less than $5 and i will pack it well.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think dash switches would be neat... but what do you guys do about the steering wheel lock?

Remove it entirely? That's how mine is, the ignition lock cylinder serves no purpose whatsoever other than being somewhere to hang my keys while driving...

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford had a companywide recall on that switch issue. the above symptoms are one of the issues. often when a vehicle burns, there is no warning.
somewhere in this forum, there is a sob story of a guy who owned a 4door bronco that this happened to. good thing it burned to the ground on his driveway and not in his garage.

Anyone know how Ford in general, and dealers, are at still honoring these recalls on older vehicles? My truck spent its first # of years in England with the USAF, and then, until Fall 09, with a fire dept, so I sort of doubt that either got the recall.

Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how Ford in general, and dealers, are at still honoring these recalls on older vehicles? My truck spent its first # of years in England with the USAF, and then, until Fall 09, with a fire dept, so I sort of doubt that either got the recall.

Thanks
go to your local dealer and the service dept should know by running your VIN.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
For a $9 part(from Autozone) that is easy to replace, why do so many people want to create a custom solution?

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
Hey yall, I was able to get the part at my local car quest, that guy is awesome. Piece of cake to replace what a relief. My batts no longer drain I'm not sure if that was the prob or not. but After I changed the switch I left the batts hooked up all night went out and it fired right up. Now I half to deal with a front DS break rotor shattered. Not sure what is all involved in changing a front rotor on a 4x4 but doesn't look like fun. I checked all my other breaks and there almost new. We'll see. David L. Thanks for the offer, I'd a PM'ed you if I couldn't of gotten it.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i had something break in my steering wheel area and now the key does nothing. i have to start my truck by pushing down my ignition rod with a pair of needle nose pliers. So what wires do what under there someone mentioned a wiring diagram??? Are the two Large yellow wires the ones for the starter? It sucks trying to start my truck with the pliers! Id love to go to just switches and a momentary for the starter and glow plugs.