Key stuck in the ignition

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key is stuck in the running position, I can switch forward to start it, but I can't switch backward to turn it off...key will come out while in the running postion...any quick fixes? I am on the road with another 400 miles to go, and don't want to do anything to disable it.

Right now, to shut off, I am doing a fourth gear clutch dump.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I imagine you are home by now, but the quick fix would be to drop into a parts store and buy a new ignition lock cylinder and just replace the thing

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Check that the chrome outter thumb ringy ain't locking you up.It is lose on white lightning and would not turn the same amount as the key causing the swtich to get locked up and not release.But,you need a new assembly.I would get a lock smith to do it.Those cheap jobbers at the parts store are easy to pick.look at the keys.Nearly flat with lil bumps.Not much pin movement.Have a locksmith custom cut the pins to match the factory keys.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to pull back on the rod that goes down to the ignition switch while pulling back on the key. Also, I wouldn't leave the batts connected if you leave it in the run position. To install a new switch it only has to be in the run position so it should easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin