Kentucky Road trip......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Shiezel...... Thats a load for sure... I thought it was house furnishing. Not truck and jeep parts... Did the stacks burn the tarp on the passenger side of the load? It sure loks that way. Glad you got there safely. Long road trips are neet. I'm driving an 8 horse fully loaded to Regina Sask. in August but not with my truck. I'll be driving a 2006 psd....:puke: :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Looks like that steering musta been feeling feathery light :D
Might want to get your gooseneck ball mount moved forward a little bit if you plan on using the hitch any. It doesn't look like it's placed very well. Kind of looks like it's right over the rear axle. It should be putting more of that load on the steer axle, it shouldn't droop like that. Must of been one heck of a ride ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
JD... My truck has a set of 3.55 gears and pulling an aluminum 8 horse fully loaded would really tax my BTS and entire rig. I know I could do it but the trainer "wants" me to use her truck....:dunno

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I wanna drive the horsey trailer load!!!!!!! Ill drive just about anything..... if its a truck and trailer, i dont care!!!! lol....... Also..... it really didnt squat my truck that bad, the way the suspension is, it sits kind of bull dog to begin with honestly....... It drove pretty smooth loaded, a little bouncy when empty...... Looks like I may be doing that kind of a trip again when I move.... hehe....

The stacks smoked out that tarp some, i wouldnt say burn it, the wind also helped kill it...... hahhaa

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11.5 TONS. Not bad. I wonder how much of that was ON the truck instead of the trailer. Definitely looks like you'll need to beef up the suspension if your going to do that again. You would have had fun in New Centerville. Sorry you missed it!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yep ya might wanna get air bags for your rear axle... i have had to replace the rear springs on 2 of my ferds and lookls like you aint afraid to overload it.

the springs crack right near the u bolt. i have had chunks fly out and almost hit the car behind me.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding add a leafs...... do you suppose that would work? or would 350 springs + add a leafs (obviously would be better) but i think that would get pricey.......... Im thinking just add a leafs?? And it wasnt THAT loaded down, it still had alot of play in the rear end....

now yesterday when I had 70 bags of 50lb grain in there i was LOADED down.... no play at all.... wont do that very often.... took 3 trips to get all the grain.... anyways ill figure it out, springs is the word though....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the problem from what I can see.
you can't do both at the same time. you can either do lifted wheeler or heavy hauler but to do both require too many compromises.
as a lifted wheeler, you need the springs to be very compliant in order for the axles to articulate properly.
as a heavy hauler, you want the springs to be a firm as possible for the sake of load control.
properly mounted airbags would be the best compromise of the two since they can allow aritculation without the rears being overly firm.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding add a leafs...... do you suppose that would work? or would 350 springs + add a leafs (obviously would be better) but i think that would get pricey.......... Im thinking just add a leafs?? And it wasnt THAT loaded down, it still had alot of play in the rear end....

now yesterday when I had 70 bags of 50lb grain in there i was LOADED down.... no play at all.... wont do that very often.... took 3 trips to get all the grain.... anyways ill figure it out, springs is the word though....

You could go that route, but it's going to cost about the same, with the old rusty U bolts, it's going to probably involve more work with an intensive creative language session to modify the springs, then you are going to have a truck that will handle the load, but will rattle your fillings out when running empty and you'll wish that you had an air seat like I do .

If you go the airbag route, it will be a fairly straightforward add on , and you will retain your stock ride when empty, but when you need to load the snot out of it, just pump up the air bags and you'll be haullin' like a big truck ;Sweet You can get the onboard setup if you want to get fancy so you can level it from the cab.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ugh...roadtrip....-Drool -Drool -Drool :rock: .....Taking gears and makin' smoke, my kinda trip.....I only have stock 250 springs and my truck hauls 5000lbs in the bed for a joke, hardly even squats....Having said that I'm going to install helpers or airbags to make it haul even better.;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
you could go the custom route and add helper springs so you can keep the ride and still have the heavy haul but it would require custom brakets attached to the fram since you have the lift but that should be cake for anyone that could fabricate a little

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Did someone say AIR SEAT????-Drool

Yup. Guilty as charged.
Both front seats are jump seats out of International 9670 cabovers. the drivers seat is a low profile air seat and the passenger side just has the fore /aft spring isolators. Both have more comfort/support adjustments than you can shake a stick at ;Sweet

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hmmm air bags are going to cost me though.... a pretty penny at that.......... sooooo we'll see what my funding situation looks like here soon...... it's not hauling like that everyday so i'm not too worried bout it yet.....