Keeping it warm overnight

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I think this week I am going to buy one of those generators. We have places to plug in the dump trucks, but they jump and holler when you ask to plug in a pickup. I have to park 1/2 a mile from where I put the dump truck, so a small generator won't bother anyone. Everything is on video tape, so theft wwill not be a problem at all.

I like this idea because in the summer it can just be tossed in the garage or used for camping if needed.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
How many amps does the block heater draw? I would imagine more than 6 amps. Most of the small generators I am finding at only 6 - 7 amps or so...Would this trip the breaker on the generator or will it warm the truck without a problem?

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
15 amps

The block heater in my truck draws close to 15 amps, the little genny I have (2000 watt) makes a hell of a racket, but it may work.

Now if it will get cold enough to warrent the block heater? probably not.:dunno

LCjeff

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
might you expound on this a bit more----please--names and such--know the espar units are good

It's been a while since I closed up shop and I haven't had to order any parts in a while except for my own , so I don't keep a list anymore. All you can do is just get on there and run a search, They do list the things as Eberspacher instead of Espar in a lot of cases so best to search both, In German its called a standheizung ( parking heater )so if you get on ebay germany and search Eberspacher standheizung, then run look for sellers that ship weldweit ( sp, Worldwide Careful some will say that and then say not to unites states, have to run that one through the translator, I know it when I see it, but I can't remember off the top of my head) and take paypal and you're in business, just find one of the online translators to run the listing trhough to see what the thing s are and to communacate.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

1994IDI

Reaction score
QUOTE: Another option not mentioned yet:
A good remote start can work well with diesels. A good one will have a programable delay for glow plug systems. It will also be programed not to overcrank the engine and retry on a no start. Now the best part... They have a keep warm function that will start the engine for 15 minutes every 2 hours or so. One of my ex's had one like this on a jeep. Worked darn nice in norther vermont Ill try to figure out who made it. I just remember it was some company in alaska (they should know)
Ken

Are remote starts an option on a manual transmission?

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew a guy who used a generator to run his block heater on an old jetta diesel while he was at work. He found it more cost effective to just drive his gas car.
I know not everyone can or will have more than 1 vehicle, but it it gets much below 10 degrees out I just drive my gas f150 since the diesels block heater doesn't work anyway and I can't plug in at school or work. Just my 2 cents.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So why not replace your block heater: $35.00

Or properly maintain your glow plug system? GP's are like $8.00ea for the 6.9/7.3 family.

My 84' f-250 starts after an 8 second glow in -19F.

I knew a guy who used a generator to run his block heater on an old jetta diesel while he was at work. He found it more cost effective to just drive his gas car.
I know not everyone can or will have more than 1 vehicle, but it it gets much below 10 degrees out I just drive my gas f150 since the diesels block heater doesn't work anyway and I can't plug in at school or work. Just my 2 cents.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have brand new glow plugs and controller. I have to cycle twice below 32F and it still cranks for 6-10 seconds. The batteries are getting weak, but it doesn't crank THAT slowly. My 6.2 with 1 battery starts better than this and that turns over pretty damn slow.
I could replace the block heater (planning on it), that doesn't help me get it started at school or work however. I figure it's not worth the wear and tear on a diesel when it's that cold for a 10 mile trip to school or 7 to work.
I need to replace 3 of the rear leaf spring hangers, I need to get some spare cash to spend in the truck (I'm BROKE right now)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726