KDP drill jig

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the critical dimensions of the jig. Say from the centers of the two mounting bolts to the center of the drill hole and how far back from the edge of the case is the drill hole. I have a homemade drill guide that will alow me to drill 90' to the surface. If I can precisly locate the drilling location I think I'll be set. If not where can I purchase a jig. I found a list of shops that have them or that will do the job, but none near me. The closest one is in New Hampshire (I can't find the listing again) which is about 100 miles from me. So if someone has a jig and can give me some good measurements I'd appreciate it.

BigBully

Reaction score
What does this Jig do? I mean I know how to fix the KDP but have not heard of this jig so it must be something relitively new and It might be something I need to make.

rubberfish

Reaction score
BigBully said:
I mean I know how to fix the KDP but have not heard of this jig so it must be something relitively new
Then you only know one way to do a KDP.
To do it the way you know of, the cover has to come off.
With a jig, the job takes a fraction of the time,
although some argue the tab method is better.

Quote from PDR web page.

"The second method was developed by John Strenkowski (CPFF). He designed and built a number of KDP Jigs that allow you to secure the KDP without removing the gear housing cover. By using his jig, you can drill and tap your gear housing from the outside. Then you install an Allen screw that blocks the dowel pin and keeps it from coming out."

Sorry wildbill_hickup, I can't help you locate one.
You could try PDR. They may be able to help you.

rubberfish

Reaction score
This is how we did mine.
I took the dipstick out and loosened the oil filler cap and had my son cycle the compressor on and off (with no pressure in the tank) while I drilled. Worked well, just enough pressure to blow the chips out.
from dodgeram.org

MLee

Reaction score
Wildbill;
One thing to consider on your fix- with all that has to be removed to use the jig, you are 18 bolts away from doing it right. Using the tab, of which you can make your self and while there check the tourqe on the bolts holding the gear case to the engine. These can and do come loose over time also and can cause just as much damage as the pin. The jig is classified as a temporary fix anyway. If the crank seal is not leaking. There has been success in removal of the cover and reinstalled. just be carefull to protect the seal from the crank and hurting the seal. [a MYLAR sheet protector will work] The whole kit can be bought from TST or Cummins for around $50.00 or so. A shop will charge about $300.00 for the 3 hr job its going to take you. Go to the dodgeram.org and read the procedure.
Good luck on your decission.
Marv.

MUDDY

Reaction score
jig kits and tab kits [both including almost everything needed] available from harold. [email protected]
as was mentioned above, tab method superior. igen did not use locktite on bolts holding case on. 2gens did use some sort of a brown thread sealant

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
Rubberfish, Yep allready called them $250 for job unfortunaly it's over 100 miles away, Hope to be able to do something closer. Still trying to get past records on truck, wish Dodge a record of it and the tranny problem. I would have thought that with something like that, that happens on such a regular basis they would have done a recall, that they would have a record of repair on. Oh well I guess I'm just going to have to take it apart and see. Question: Is there any average mileage known that each of these problems tends to show up? I now have just over 106K on the truck. I know I can't put this off for long, but I have so many pre-winter chores at this point another all day (or two) project is a little much. I have a garage or will have (one of those chores to finish up), In your opinion(s) can this wait just a little longer or are these things something that will happen right now or very soon (mileage wise)

MLee

Reaction score
Wildbill;
You could have had it done with all this HOM-haw that has been going on. The Tab method, if you have never done it takes Four hours Max. with the Seal repacement. This is the most time consuming part figuring which is going to be the best and easyest way to put the seal in. The jig takes about 1 1/2 hrs. But you must follow the instructions, and not get any shavings in your engine. They are aluminium and a magnet will not help. Air pressure is used @ 2psi, so you do not ruin any seals in the process. OR- use a vaccumm and be carefull. This has also been used
To bad your in vermont I'd be willing to help ya.
Marv.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes they never have a problem...seen more than a few rams with over 500k without a single problem.