Just want to say thanks

catodd

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this site, been lurking since i just bought my first 7.3L IDI. She had a few problems and thanks to this site I have been able to fix these problems.

1. Brake pedal almost went to floor with not much braking power. Turned out to be the brake booster...determined by my vacuum gauge.

2. Transmission would hunt at highway speeds. Replaced FIPL and adjusted, now things are good...transmission shifts smoother and the RPM's are not as high as before.

3. Radiator leaks...have one on order, going to replace hoses and thermostat.

Both doors rattle and seem to sag. When I grab bottom of door and try to lift up and down, there seems to be no movement.....should i replace the door pins and bushings? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best free repair site anywhere. Lerning about these trucks will be easy. Just read all you can and ask plenty of questions. You wont be asking anything that has not been answered many times before. Everybody needs to start somewhere.. Most "help" sections at any autoparts will have the door hinge pin kits... If the door wont stay open you will need to replace the top hinge because the spring has broken off.. This is common.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn't fix the rattling for good, but for now wrap that striker bolt that sticks out of the extended cab with electrical tape. It made mine tight.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if there is no movement when you wiggle up and down you might need to adjust the door mounting brackets. I replaced the hinge pins in mine but I decided to undercoat the mounts and the inner door , so I took everything off, dumb idea, I still dont have the passenger door lined up right :mad: as for the rattle you might need to adjust the striker , I used a pipe wrench cause I didn't have a torx big enough but it made the door close tighter. I would scribe anything that you plan to move or take off (I traced mine with pencil, not recommended) Having a buddy helps too

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autowag,I just changed another set of hinge pins on my jeep door=Advanced Auto $6 I do them myself but if you have help it is easier. It can be tricky holding the door and installing pins by yourself. Usually have to remove cab hinges. Mark everything b4 you take them off!!!! Just one of my hard-learned lessons.LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a late "Welcome to OB" from me. It's the best diesel site on the net.

As far as the doors go.....

If the pastic bushing on the striker pin is broken or missing, replacing it with a new one will make a big difference. They can be found at most chain autoparts stores in the "911" or "Help" section.

If the weather stipping around the door is flattend out, torn, or just dry rotten, replacing them will also make a difference.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your not getting any up and down movement when the door is partially open, then most likely it is neither the hinge pins nor adjustment of the door. In all likelyhood, the striker bolt has lost it's plastic sleeve. Yes, that's right. There is a plastic sleave around that bolt that probably looks like it doesn't have anything wrong with it. They sell these for under 10 bucks at any auto store in the red help section. Depending on the year, it will be either a whole bolt with the plastic on it, or you can buy just the sleeve, which is a gray plastic cylinder.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the radiator replacement, think about the water pump. I replaced the radiator and hoses, water pump had no signs of any failure, 2 weeks later the W/P let go.

It was $69 for a new one in stock @ Kragen. Should have done it with the radiator. I had to buy all that A/F and SCA's again.

If you have the time and funds do the W/P. My $.02

catodd

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Door Striker Bolts at Napa part# 675-5170 and installed all is good....no more rattle and wind noise.

catodd

Reaction score
As far as the radiator replacement, think about the water pump. I replaced the radiator and hoses, water pump had no signs of any failure, 2 weeks later the W/P let go.

It was $69 for a new one in stock @ Kragen. Should have done it with the radiator. I had to buy all that A/F and SCA's again.

If you have the time and funds do the W/P. My $.02

Believe i will take ur advise and replace waterpump too. Thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe i will take ur advise and replace waterpump too. Thanks

Trust me, spend the extra cash and get a new Ford water pump. My reman only lasted 3 years, and that's with me running a coolant filter too. It's just cheaper and easier on you in the long run.

Heath