Just got my source for WVO

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My parents have reopened a restaurant. My stepdad called me yesterday and told me he has my first batch of used veggie oil. I think I have about 120 gallons right now.

I am not really interested in running straight veggie oil,,but would like to process it down into true biodiesel.

I have been trying to read all I can about this process, and I have found some expensive reactor kits that are out of my price range. Do any of you guys actually turn your WVO into biodiesel? What is the simplest process? I don't need a bunch, just a few gallons a week I bet. Maybe stocking some up for trips and such.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an appleseed processor. You can google it and find lots of plans.
That said I hardly ever make biodiesel. Blending is waaaaay easier. I generally run 60/40 winter 80/20 summer. have been doing it for years with no modifications to the truck.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice place to get a fuel source from.
I would agree with Shadetree, the blending part is easier for sure.
Bought a book years ago, "From the fryer to the fuel tank" lots of good info, the processing of wvo to biodiesel is kinda complex.
Methanol & lye, mixed and heated, let it cool and settle, then pull off the "fuel" and your left with fat or could be soap.
I would also recommend starting and stopping your engine on clean diesel or purging, think wvo could have more problems with "carboning" up then wmo.
But I hope someone that actually processes wvo will post, so you get both sides.
It helps that your in AR, outside temps stay warmer and all.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keys to wvo are clean, clean, clean, and dry. I have been burning it for almost 10 years now and any problems I have had were eventually traced back to those four things.
I would definitely recommend a centrifuge.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm...this place in Conway? Fixing to make a trip to Arkansas... my brother lives in Cabot...have to see how good the groceries are there...

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...this place in Conway? Fixing to make a trip to Arkansas... my brother lives in Cabot...have to see how good the groceries are there...

Nope, sorry to say it, but it is way up north in the state in Hardy, Arkansas.

David's king catfish. Groceries are really good too.

Might have to meet up when you are in Cabot. Decent pick-n-pull there.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cp, had a thought on something with wvo, and not that I want you to run this in your pickup, but just a experiment.
Sometime when you change oil, keep the waste oil and add a little wvo to it.
I'd like to know if wvo helps pull out the crud in wmo.
Some of the stuff that bbjordan is doing with bio-diesel & wmo seems like it pulls more crud out of the wmo, just curious if wvo would do the same???
I'd try it myself, but its a little cold up here yet, think the wvo would gell in the wmo, I'll need to wait a couple months for warmer weather.
Maybe I can sneak a bottle of this mixture downstairs at our house.