Jasper 7.3 IDI?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have good news and bad news all mixed together. Drove to Allentown PA last Friday and got 20 plus MPG on the ride up from NC. On the way lost a GP and had hard starting while there. Got home checked all the GP with test light and they all lit? and Monday night the engine started missing. Tuesday morning didn't want to start, drove wife's van to work. Wed morn checked GP again and one was out this time. Went to remove it and it came apart (yes BERU) and the tip fell in head. Tried turning over engine to blow piece out of cylinder and it had fallen all the way in and was rattling on top of piston. stopped right then. I had been on the lookout for months for a core 7.3 since my engine has 307,000 miles. Well I found a Jasper reman in a JY with less than 20K and bought it. Two questions come to mind, first what is the reputation of Jasper on here? and two, can I use the AOD flexplate with my C6?
You must be registered for see images attach

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, another question as I am thinking through tomorrows activities. The 7.3 has the serpentine belt system and I was wondering if the ac compressor lines from the 6.9 would work? Also the power steering lines.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Seems some are good, some are bad.
I would try keeping the serpentine setup. May have to modify lines though, not sure.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems some are good, some are bad.
I would try keeping the serpentine setup. May have to modify lines though, not sure.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Considering its a corporation, probably has a lot to do with the individual builder. Company has been around awhile and doesn't have an awful rep though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The serpentine ac hoses are different from the V belt ac compressors. Did you mean to post E4OD flex plate?? You posted AOD so nope. An AOD flex plate wont work on the C6. All E4OD flex plates work with the C6 trans. There are 2 different flex plates that work with both types trans. The steel stamping with the welded on gear and the heavy cast iron plate. Just make sure you have the thick crank spacer if you use the thin stamped steel welded on flex plate. Some members have mistaken the spacer for part of the crank end and could not install other plates are flywheels. It really looking like part of the crank if you have no idea what it looks like. Very lite tapping with a hammer will knock it off the engine of the crank flange. BTW it weighs about 4 lbs so be ready for a heavy piece of metal dropping on you.
Sorry bout the broken plug rattling round in a cylinder. It might blow out or stick in top of a piston. Or worse. Break a piston and spend a rod thru the block. Now saying this I hope you know this is not the norm and I'm not all that certain it really happens. My ebay junk engine I got had so much damage on pistons from glow plugs . Some top rings were even stuck from the piston domes squeezing down on them.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary, I did mean e4od (stamped on flexplate) but I can just use the one from the 6.9, but the one on the 7.3 looks new! Speaking of new, found out engine was built in Aug 2010 and sold to AC company for their van. On the GP the top part that the harness connects to came right out in my fingers! Then I tried to unscrew the main body and the tip fell in. As soon as I cranked the engine to blow it out and I heard it rattle in the piston I stopped. I want to use the serp system but may do the v-belt for now so I can get driving asap.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you can use the one from the 6.9 on the 7.3. Is the 7.3 a factory turbo engine? The harmonic balancer and flywheel are balanced a bit different for those.

A side question, what is the little frame with the blue tarp over what looks like an engine, with a battery sitting on the back, behind the engine stand?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a 1960 Willys CJ5 that I am "rebuilding" for the last nine years :) I am doing a resto-mod, new leaf springs, shocks, shackles, u-bolts, brakes(front disc), factory D18 transfer case with a 904 trans and a fuel injected 2.8 v6. Power steering and brakes. From the outside it will look mostly factory 1960 but wanted a safe modern drive train.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jasper seems to be either great or junk. nothing in between. id be concerned about how they installed the freeze plugs.but if its been 20k prolly ok

19887.3IDI

Reaction score
I have a jasper reman in my truck with about 30k on it and the engine it self is ok but the ip and injectors were complete junk.

Edit: Oh and jasper went way over kill on the rtv on the engine I got and it got sucked into the oil pick up screen :eek: luckily it didn't clog it completely but if you are going to use that engine you might want to take the oil pan off and have a look just to be safe.

Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 has a fresh IP and I just built a tester for the injectors, so I will test all the injectors I have and match eight of them. The engine seems sealed well with very few visible leaks, though some places show copious amounts of RTV!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have read the same about the Jasper Diesels. Really good or really bad.

I know at one point in time, they were one of the best "bulk rebuilders" out there. In the 80's we installed a Jasper C-4 Transmission into a 79 Fairmont Station Wagon. The factory one, and 2 boneyard transmissions had failed us..... so Dad ponied up for a Jasper, and it was going strong several years later when we sold the car. Last I had heard, that car had suffered some ill-fate, but it was not the transmission........

Jasper Rebuilding is actually here in Indiana. Jasper, Indiana in Southern Indiana to be exact, not too far from Evansville and Holiday World if you are familiar with the area. Their facility is quite large, one of the biggest things in the smaller town that it is located in. Have been by there several times over the years. Not sure if they still do, but I remember back when we bought a Jasper, they painted everything an odd, mint green color. There was no mistaking a Jasper back in the day......

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am going to need some help. I'm stuck trying to test run this engine. The starter keeps binding? at first I thought it needed more juice so I put the batteries out of my truck in series and then put a 250amp jumper pack on top of that and still won't turn. I took the GP out and I can turn the engine freely from the front crank bolt. Right now I am trying to upload a video so you can see. This truck is my DD so I need to get this rig on the road. ;)

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, finally got it running this evening. Apparently jumper cables are not strong enough for starting a diesel:dunno so I made up some battery cables and walla! I ran it on diesel clean until it emptied the bottle. Sounded strong, no odd noises. I think I will start pulling the old engine tomorrow after church and then swap the fuel system from the 6.9. This engine has a nice growl compared to the tinny sound mine always had. Hope I got a good one here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online