It's not an injector.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I just got done replacing all my injectors, one at a time and I could not eliminate the knock. I dont know what to do now. Could the DMF be wearing out and sound like a rod knock. I no longer enjoy driving my truck because it sounds like crap, sounds like a crack fiend at his dealers door.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I just got done replacing all my injectors, one at a time and I could not eliminate the knock. I dont know what to do now. Could the DMF be wearing out and sound like a rod knock. I no longer enjoy driving my truck because it sounds like crap, sounds like a crack fiend at his dealers door.

Got a video?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
From wheere is theknock comein? If eit si fromem the toep. it could jeus bre outte time. wuenh did it start? diD you cjenge somethienge ghthat mede it knokec? Whey did euw chenge jeintctors?

sWW
s

FordGuy100

Reaction score
From wheere is theknock comein? If eit si fromem the toep. it could jeus bre outte time. wuenh did it start? diD you cjenge somethienge ghthat mede it knokec? Whey did euw chenge jeintctors?

sWW
s

Are you using a phone???

Otherwise, time to stop drinking :rotflmao.

DMF's make some pretty strange noises when they go out, I hope thats what it is for you.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be helpful we need to hear a sound clip or video and figure where the sound is coming from. I hate to say it but I think it might be time to pull the valve covers and verify that everything is happy in there. Could be a number of things but a spun bearing or bad rod is probably the least likely cause.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is also a time when an oil analysis would help out. If you have an engine knock it will show up plain as day in the metal count.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
if it is the dmf then You should feel good, there is a thread in the archives explaining how to convert Your dmf into a SMF.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at your flywheel physically yet? Have you confirmed if it's a single or dual mass? If the springs are bulging or it has a lot of play (more than 3/4" back and forth) I think you could say that might be the issue.

Good luck, report back with findings or a video.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah...I was kind of drunk when I posted that. It SHOULD read "From where is the engeing knock coming? Is it near the top of the engine or does it sound throughout? Have you had it timed to see if the IP is needing some attention? Did you change something prior to the injectors that all of a sudden made it knock? If not, why did you change the injectors?

SWS

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Were the current and prior injectors pop tested?

If the timing is too far advanced it will knock bad enough to almost make it sound like a Powerstroke.

If the DMF is going bad it will sound like someone shaking a paint can with some large nuts and bolts slamming around in there.

But if the injectors are popping off at different pressures the DMF will produce some noise indicating uneven combustion events.

To check the DMF for wear, remove the inspection cover and with the transmission in neutral, try to rotate the portion of the DMF containing the ring gear. It sould not have no more than 1" of travel, any more than that them the DMF is needing replaced.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I "think" you can pull the inspection cover and wiggle the flywheel with the clutch pushed in to check for excessive slop. Does the sound change with the clutch in vs. out? How high do the RPM's have to go before the noise goes away--if it even does? Good luck hope you get it sorted out.

Yeah...I was kind of drunk when I posted that.

No way too funnay :rotflmaoLOL I don't even type that bad when I'm all tore up ha ha :D

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I never got an e-mail replay and figured nobody had an answer. So to try and answer everyones questions, here goes.

The truck sounded fine about 6k miles ago. I replaced the injectors because I was on the OEM D codes with 127k miles. I got my injectors from russ so they were pressure matched and I had the timing reset the same week. The first time I started the truck with the new injectors it has knocked. The knocking sound is most prevalent underneath the truck. When standing in front with the hood up you can barely hear it. The sound remains the same regardless of clutch engagement but seems to disappear at higher(2k+)rpms. I'm not sure if it actually goes away or if I simply cant hear it due to wind/exhaust/road noise.

I will make a video and crawl under to check out the flywheel this week.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I am having a very similar problem on my 93. I had it before I replaced all my injectors, and after it still makes the noise (it just got louder). Before I replaced the injectors the DMF would make all sorts of racket, but with the new injectors (and new IP) the DMF doesn't seem to make any noise, but the "TICK TICK TICK" that sounds exactly like a loose exhaust manifold got louder. I am starting to wonder if it is valve issues. All the injector lines seem to be the same temp, so I don't think I have a bad injector. I will also try to get a video with the "TICK" sounds. I am interested to see what you find!

PZ

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I never got an e-mail replay and figured nobody had an answer. So to try and answer everyones questions, here goes.

The truck sounded fine about 6k miles ago. I replaced the injectors because I was on the OEM D codes with 127k miles. I got my injectors from russ so they were pressure matched and I had the timing reset the same week. The first time I started the truck with the new injectors it has knocked. The knocking sound is most prevalent underneath the truck. When standing in front with the hood up you can barely hear it. The sound remains the same regardless of clutch engagement but seems to disappear at higher(2k+)rpms. I'm not sure if it actually goes away or if I simply cant hear it due to wind/exhaust/road noise.

I will make a video and crawl under to check out the flywheel this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger