IT'S HERE! MOOSE TV - Moose injectors!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GAry, lets dyno my truck then swap on your extra moose pump to make sure it works and dyno it again.:sly:sly

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My final drive ratio is 1.96 in double overdrive running 3.55 gears. Rpm was around 1700.....

Switching gears, my rpms will be 2k at 65, with 3.73's and 40's.

I am significantly lifted.

I am running a NP435 to get that ratio.

Do we think (taking into consideration what I have, not what I want to get) my ATS wastegated turbocharged 170 hp (factory spec, there were two, 155 and 170, I have the 170) PSD intercooled truck will benefit from an an OD... if your rpm was 17 for 80, that would be where I am approximately with a ZF, 5 or 6 speed is irrelevant.

Been thinking about that, most of the time the truck will see 65-70 peak.

I can live with 2k, geared towards that number, actually, Fuzz lower than I was with the E40D and 4.10's, stock tires.

Just thinking if I run a road trip, and I plan on 80-85,that puts me closer to 25-26 with the 4speed, and a ZF will be 18ish.

Was scared of the extra drag caused by the lift and 100+# of tire wheel at each corner fighting an OD.... but I would have to say yer dually aint no lightweight, and a 2:1 drive ratio is huge drag on the motor.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Was really having a hard time rationalizing the cost of the Moose products, one can have a 6bt for the same money....

But it sounds like some satisfied customers out there...

Bringing this back from the dead, can we get a round of hands from those that have them, that can validate mpg gains?

Uhhhherrrrrrr? Wow...I did not know a pump and injectors would cost 3k+. The problem with the swap, is that you need a bunch of other stuff to support it.

SWS

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one can find good 6 bt's for the 2k mark. Just have to look.

Crazedlist, Co-Part, etc.

If this set up costs 15, the real number from what I have seen is closer to 17 or so, and one can figure approximately say 5-1000 out of selling their IDI... especially with its goodys, then one would have 2000- almost 3000 to throw at a 6bt.

That was the rationalization behind my post.

I have access to a complete CRD right now that needs gone through for 12ish, my cummins guy thinks that for the neighborhood of 2k it can be in my truck...

I am having a hard time seeing the logic in that kind of cash outlay for a motr that is limited by design to not be able to fully benefit from the products its having thrown at it.

Benefit, yes, but not the fullest extent.

SO I guess I am trying for a devils advocate approach for someone to hit me square upside the head with rational logic to throw these parts at my truck.

If Icanfixall had posted 25+ mpg on the way back from the rally; if David85 has finally hit his 25 regular cruising, if someone
(the dude with compound turbo's say...)(studded motor) can show the extra fueling allows 30 psi of boost, etc. etc.

Lay it on me. I love my IDI, and its obnoxious simplicity.... but..... i need convinced this is the cats miaow...and not overkill.

gimme hard numbers....

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang on a minute here. What I did with mine was actually before the moose pump was installed. What happened was a 200 mile round trip with 100 miles in one direction and another 100 in the other direction along the exact same route. I reached about 25 MPG in only one direction, but dropped to 19 in the other. This is how I try to do all my calculations instead of just ommiting the lower number by cherry picking. So my average that day worked out to about 22.5 MPG while cruising empty at 70 MPH.

More recently I broke 18 MPG for the first time while towing thanks to the new pump and some very gentlie driving between 55-60 MPH. Previous averages peaked at 16-17 MPG.

I have not been able to break 25 MPG averaged for both directions yet, but in theory I think it might be possible.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats all i am after, is real world numbers before and after....

What fun is a board with out some Idaho Hick playing Devils advocate?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hang on a minute here. What I did with mine was actually before the moose pump was installed. What happened was a 200 mile round trip with 100 miles in one direction and another 100 in the other direction along the exact same route. I reached about 25 MPG in only one direction, but dropped to 19 in the other. This is how I try to do all my calculations instead of just ommiting the lower number by cherry picking. So my average that day worked out to about 22.5 MPG while cruising empty at 70 MPH.

More recently I broke 18 MPG for the first time while towing thanks to the new pump and some very gentlie driving between 55-60 MPH. Previous averages peaked at 16-17 MPG.

I have not been able to break 25 MPG averaged for both directions yet, but in theory I think it might be possible.

I'm guessing that;s imperial gallons. Have you re calculated that to where those of us not priveliged to be north of the border can relate more accurately to?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL I think you might have asked me that a while ago too.

Correct canada uses gallons that are 4.66 liters, but I calculate all of my MPGs in terms of 3.78 liter gallons.

So I guess if I were to stick with 4.66L gallons, my 22.5 MPG run gets bumped up to 27 MPG.....which is why I don't use the larger units.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I resisted chimming in on this, but I do feel that we need to point out one obvious thing. If you buy a used Cummins, it does NOT come with a new rebuilt pump, or new injectors. A rebuilt pump for a Cummins will run you $2500! I don't know what injectors cost, but if we are going to talk finances, lets be realistic. Yea, you can go out and buy a whole Dodge truck with a Cummins IN it for $1600-$1800 (approximate price of Moose Pump and Moose Misters), but how much more money are you going to have to dump into it to make it reliable? I don't think the monetary comparision you are making has a sound basis for comparison. Price out a Cummins with a new pump and injectors on it, if you want to look at it properly.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hmm... I resisted chimming in on this, but I do feel that we need to point out one obvious thing. If you buy a used Cummins, it does NOT come with a new rebuilt pump, or new injectors. A rebuilt pump for a Cummins will run you $2500! I don't know what injectors cost, but if we are going to talk finances, lets be realistic. Yea, you can go out and buy a whole Dodge truck with a Cummins IN it for $1600-$1800 (approximate price of Moose Pump and Moose Misters), but how much more money are you going to have to dump into it to make it reliable? I don't think the monetary comparision you are making has a sound basis for comparison. Price out a Cummins with a new pump and injectors on it, if you want to look at it properly.

Very good point. Most bosch injectors run around $83-140 ea to have rebuilt. If well taken care of a bosch pumpp and injectors can be expected to go anywhere from 175-300k before needing rebuilt, but when they do, it's expensive

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
not to mention, in this situation, I already have the best work truck, and I've already sunk tons of cash into making it the most reliable vehicle on the road.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are valid points.

And either way, one loses the ability to run WMO.. so that is a wash as well.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
im new to the site and i understand the injectors are not out yet but where can i get the moose pump an how much will it run me? im trying to spend as little as possible so any ideas where to get a moose pump?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injectors have been out for a while now. :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle