Italian Tuneup

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was reading another diesel forum today, and someone asked a question about their 97 jetta tdi. They mentioned a loss of power and fuel economy recently. The top response said to do an Italian tuneup. He said he does it to his 240d every 2-3 weeks. Just drive it at 4000-4500 RPM (close to redline) for 10-15 minutes and its like a whole new machine he claims. (IIRC, redline on those Mercedes diesels is 4800 or 5000).

So my question is this, is there any truth behind this idea, both in regards to all older diesels, and specifically our IDIs, or is it a fast way to blow the engine.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the older engines, but on the newer engines, the computer controls EVERYTHING. Driving like a hound for awhile will reprogram the computer with newer parameter, like re-tuning the engine for more power and that, though the mileage WILL drop like a stone.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Im a firm believer that diesel engines are meant to work. If you baby it around carbon buildup will happen. I run my truck pretty hard fairly regular. Is it good for it... idk no problems to report so far.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So redlining an IDI for extended periods is not harmful? I wouldnt worry too much abut running 2500 for long periods, but something about approaching 3k for more than an acceleration burst just scares me.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run on the governor for 15-20 minutes at a time while loaded in order to pull some of our hills.

No issues to report after 100k miles.

Our IDI's are rated to run on the governor. The water pump is moving 79 gpm at that speed.

In short...let it eat! :)

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
Idk, running that fast scares the hell out if me! But I've heard too, all engines will break into how you drive. Meaning the rings will set and wear to how you drive. If you keep changing the style of driving then they keep having to wear into your style. I'd drive it how you want. But as mentioned before, if you lug it low and slow too much it definitely builds up. I've gone around for half a day driving slow and not going above 1500RPM's and noticed a bit more smoke than from that morning. Now I shift between 2,000-2,500 all the time and the smoke seems to stay level.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
They ran something along the lines of a 10,000 hour full load test with minimal issues. I think 20 minutes will be ok.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple times a week ill drop mine into second and let it scream up the hill to my farm, about a 3 miles grade, with the water jets on to clean everything out. 3300-3600 the whole way. Always runs better the next day

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Driving slow with no load builds up a varnish on the rings and cylinders. We have to get the cylinders and rings hot enough to burn off this varnish. To do this build up rpm and then back off the throttle. Some recomend doing this in a large parking lot till you loose your mind. Its best when braking in a rebuilt engine to load up the truck and haul a load. Do not just drive slow around town. That will not break in the cylinders and rings. It sure will load up the rings and cylinders with varnish and take probably 2 or 3 times the amount to break in the engine. Not good either. these engines were designed to earn a living working. How long do you think a Kenworth or Freightliner is babied. They go to work earning their keep. We can run on the governor all day long with no isues. Sure it scares some of us but its not a bad thing.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i go to az mine runs 3200rpm for 200 miles. Once into az i run it @3500Rpm

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Running on the red line limit is not harmful but.. If your engine is really worn out who knows whats going to happen. Mostly these engines are bullet proof. They have more soul than daddys shoes. They will run long and give great mileage doing it. Of course there is the beat to death engine that throws a rod or breaks a crank too. We do not see many posts like that here.

Black dawg

Reaction score
So I was reading another diesel forum today, and someone asked a question about their 97 jetta tdi. They mentioned a loss of power and fuel economy recently. The top response said to do an Italian tuneup. He said he does it to his 240d every 2-3 weeks. Just drive it at 4000-4500 RPM (close to redline) for 10-15 minutes and its like a whole new machine he claims. (IIRC, redline on those Mercedes diesels is 4800 or 5000).

So my question is this, is there any truth behind this idea, both in regards to all older diesels, and specifically our IDIs, or is it a fast way to blow the engine.

Revving the **** out of them wont always clean them up if it isnt working hard enough. It can be hard to keep an na idi cleaned up burning wmo. If you can get it to run 1000 deg+ for 50 miles (with as little smoke as possible) it seems to help them a bunch.

A couple years ago I towed a trailer with my truck (turbo and intercooler) that gave it a good workout, and it ran like brand new afterwards. Boost was maxxed, and egt was 1200 on flat ground for 50 miles.