Italian Tuneup

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I notice sometimes when my truck is still on the cold advance it gets kind of jumpy, like its running out of fuel, if I beat on it. anyone else have this happen?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a trailer fairly regular and every time I do my truck feels better afterwards. I drive very modestly normally but when I tow its all or nuthin, so my 6.5's and dmax dont complain too much.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that I am running WMO and don't believe I am having issues with coked injectors (need to pull one to verify). I have a 4.10/C6 combo that nets me about 8-900* egt and 22-2300RPM at 60 on a good day with low/no wind for my 100 mile commute. When the wind pick up some days I have a hard time keeping EGT's below 1100 for the same drive. When I get a chance to speed up I am not afraid to lay into the throttle and hit 2800 RPM and 1150-1250 for a few seconds. My smoke at idle/ low RPM is minimal for a WMO fuel. When I had as few days off and spent my time running around town/back roads I noticed that the smoke increased and power seemed to be down a little. Ran some D2 and some hard throttle runs and it is back to normal.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice sometimes when my truck is still on the cold advance it gets kind of jumpy, like its running out of fuel, if I beat on it. anyone else have this happen?

My truck will do something similar. However not consistently. I also know exactly when the cold advance kicks off, the truck will physically slow and quiet down at once.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah, I can too. It'll only do it if I start rowing gears to merge etc. otherwise with the advance off it doesn't happen.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4.10/C6 combo that nets me about 8-900* egt and 22-2300RPM at 60 on a good day with low/no wind for my 100 mile commute. When the wind pick up some days I have a hard time keeping EGT's below 1100 for the same drive. .

Have you by chance checked your timing recently? That sounds like a condition of running a bit on the retarded side to me.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you by chance checked your timing recently? That sounds like a condition of running a bit on the retarded side to me.

It very well could be. I haven't timed mine yet as I am waiting to finish my dually so that I can time a couple trucks at one while I have a meter rented. I will note that it is more than likely factory N/A timing with only 95000 miles running a WMO 50%/D2 47%/ RUG 3% mix and doesn't sound to have quite the same diesel knock as my dad's truck or my dually had. When I was running pure D2 I could see temps hang right around the low 700* range for the same drive

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well at 95,000 miles I'm betting the pump has changed the timing a bit and the injectors have lost some spring tension so the timing will change there too. a pop pressure of say 1850 and timed at 8.5 is fine. But when the pop pressure drops the injection happens much earlier so the engine is advanced more. Now what changes this is as the pump wears the timing retards so. so it can be figured the timing is going to change no matter what wears more. Could be more advance or more retarded. This is why I rent timing meters. Sadly no Ford or any other shop will time our engines any longer. So I offer this rental program to help others. I even had sold off several meters to some really lucky members too. Those meters had all the needed tools for adjusting the timing too.:sly:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online