it won't turn off

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, i got my S1600 running like a top, but now if it runs for more than 20 miutes or so the shutoff solenoid is sticking. It won't turn off unless I bump the key on and off a time or two. I'm sure that's real healthy for my glo plugs.

Suggestions on not invasive ways to free the plunger? I'm sure it's because it sat for who know how long with a dry fuel system. I had filled the filter with ATF when I changed it, and I'm running dieselkleen additive in the tank.

I'm scared to take the top cover off....

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
One of my IDI's did this when the battery ground connections on the block were dirty/full of grease. Before I found the cause, I had to do the 'turn key on and off rapidly' to get it to shut down. Truck started and ran fine otherwise, the engine just wouldn't shut down with the key

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
If sitting made it stick, maybe it will free up from running a few tanks thru it.

Before I tore into I might unplug the fuel shutoff wire from the IP, run a temporary wire from a 12v+ and switch the pump off and on a few hundred times.

It is worth a try.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my IDI's did this when the battery ground connections on the block were dirty/full of grease. Before I found the cause, I had to do the 'turn key on and off rapidly' to get it to shut down. Truck started and ran fine otherwise, the engine just wouldn't shut down with the key

I had to replace the alternator and since it was upgraded I did all of the mains/grounds while I was at it. If I ohm from the top cover to the battery what's a decent ground? Alternator casing to the negative battery post was less than 5 when I checked it after install.

If sitting made it stick, maybe it will free up from running a few tanks thru it.

Before I tore into I might unplug the fuel shutoff wire from the IP, run a temporary wire from a 12v+ and switch the pump off and on a few hundred times.

It is worth a try.
how much is too much on cycling it? will it take hit after hit or should I cycle it like once every 5 seconds?

The truck sat in the uhaul parking lot and thieves stole all the diesel. The #1 injector line was loose already and the whole fuel system was dry for at least a few months. The tank looked pretty clean, but I did see rust in the top of the fuel filter when I pulled it off.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel solenoid is prolly OK, it's the fuel rod that is prolly sticking. Pull the cover off and this is what you'll see below. Sop the fuel out and fill it with ATF, Seafoam or something like that and let it set for a day or two, if the solenoid is sticking do the same to it. Work the small rod in and out, be carefull of the small spring on it.

Attachments

• DVC01374.JPG
    DVC01374.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DVC01370.JPG
    DVC01370.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 21

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO I run the risk of hosing it up simply be removing the cover?

What you're saying sounds plausible, the entire injection system was DRY, so I imagine there's some surface rust or something hanging up the rod.

I may just not mess with it until after my big wheeling trip and it sits for a few months. It runs so well right now I'm scared to do anything more to it, especially with a planned trip coming up fast.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your afraid to remove the IP cover, fill the filter with ATF, start it up, run for a couple of minutes, shut it down and let it set for a day or two. That should fill the IP with ATF. Work the throttle a few times before starting next time, also with the key on, remove the fuel solenoid wire, and touch it back on and off a few times. That may help.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your afraid to remove the IP cover, fill the filter with ATF, start it up, run for a couple of minutes, shut it down and let it set for a day or two. That should fill the IP with ATF. Work the throttle a few times before starting next time, also with the key on, remove the fuel solenoid wire, and touch it back on and off a few times. That may help.

I'm handy, but this is the first diesel I've ever owned. I read all of the cautionary tales about taking it off and having it go runaway, so taing it apart is the last resort. I promised my wife that the 20 year old uhaul truck would be reliable for toterhome duties cookoo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the cautions regarding the top cover are valid, but we tend to scare people first, then make them timid before venturing into the pump top. It's better than having Rambo rip open the top cover, jam it back on, and have a run away, then post that he's going to kill all of us for the bad advice. LOL It's not that bad REALLY it's not. Worse case, go to a junk yard and find a pump that you can just take the top cover off of to see how it is, then if you decide its not that bad you can do it to your own. It's going to take quiet a lot of solvent to clean that up in there. Probably more tank fulls than you have patience for.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wel I've put another 100 miles on it since this post. The tank is loaded up with standyne additive and a few quarts of brand new ATF(more like a gallon), it seems to be getting better. Hell, the whole truck seems to be running better the more I use it. I guess I'll just wait it out and see how it acts. If it's not fixed itself after my big planned wheeling trip in July I'll tear it apart then. It's running so well now that I don't want to mess with it before the planned trip, and I've still got construction of living quarters in the box to get done before then, and a Jeep to finish!