Isspro r606 egt gauge install questions

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the r606-6 kit because I liked the big 3in gauge but it came with the r650 thermocouple. The probe is 1/4 diameter, 2.1 inches long, is a 1/2in npt and it came with a bung to weld to the exhaust pipe. I thought it was going to be the standard 1/8 probe. Is there any adapters that I could use so I wouldn't have to weld to the exhaust pipe. What I was thinking was drilling and tapping the manifold for a 3/8 tap the center hole should be large enough to fit the large 1/4in probe. Then use a 1/2in to 3/8 npt adapter to screw the probe in.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may just take it to a shop and have them weld that bung onto the exhaust pipe. if I have them weld it right where the exhaust pipe connects to the manifold it should still give an accurate reading

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may just take it to a shop and have them weld that bung onto the exhaust pipe. if I have them weld it right where the exhaust pipe connects to the manifold it should still give an accurate reading
This seems to be more and more common. Its way easier to drop than a manifold and is only a few inches beyond the normal spot for it.

That's a monster pyro, lol! I wonder what it's for normally...

Edit: if you do get it welded on, make sure it won't hit the back side of the exhaust pipe when it's screwed in all the way!

You might also contact Isspro to see if that's the pyro that's supposed to be there or a whoopsies.

Last edited:

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered it from the hungry diesel. Yea it was supposed to come with the stuff it did. The gauge I believe was from a kenworth or peterbuilt. It's a really nice gauge especially for only 160. It's very easy to read because of the size which is what I wanted.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Another plus to welding the bung to the exhaust pipe is that it's MUCH easier to drill a hole in that as opposed to the manifold. Wes told me that after having a manifold crack while he was trying to drill and tap it, he installs all of his pyro probes in the exhaust pipe. Like he says, below the flange is still within 8" of the head.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
When you guys are welding a bung in exhaust pipe are you putting it on drivers side just below flange or passenger side just below?
And what temp is considered safe?

I used to have an ATS 088 kit and probe was in (IIRC) outlet casting. I was told 1200* was max running temp working/pulling....could pull up to 1250* but needed to ease back out to 1200* or less & work it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that most put the probe in the driver's side. That may be more of a probe wires length than anything else. The problem with the post turbo probe is that it actually reads about 300* low. That's why the recommended location for the probe is 8" or less from the head.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got everything installed and I definitely like the big 3in gauge. I turned the fuel screw until it seemed like it was bottoming out or getting very hard to turn and backed off a 1/4 turn. It definitely has more power than before and blows a good bit more black smoke. It still doesn't have the power I was hoping for but considering the truck weighs 8000 lbs it moves along pretty good

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you guys are welding a bung in exhaust pipe are you putting it on drivers side just below flange or passenger side just below?
And what temp is considered safe?

I used to have an ATS 088 kit and probe was in (IIRC) outlet casting. I was told 1200* was max running temp working/pulling....could pull up to 1250* but needed to ease back out to 1200* or less & work it.
I just welded a bung in my exhaust pipe this morning. I chose the drivers side just below the flange to the manifold. The passenger side has a few more obstacles in the way. This is the third probe install I've done this way.
I have heard the 1200 degrees as well. I did a little internet search and came up with some information linked below.
https://official.bankspower.com/tech_article/why-egt-is-important/
https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/7u...ximum-safe-sustained-exhaust-temperature.html

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just welded a bung in my exhaust pipe this morning. I chose the drivers side just below the flange to the manifold. The passenger side has a few more obstacles in the way. This is the third probe install I've done this way.
I have heard the 1200 degrees as well. I did a little internet search and came up with some information linked below.
https://official.bankspower.com/tech_article/why-egt-is-important/
https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/7u...ximum-safe-sustained-exhaust-temperature.html
It's been lore around here that 1150* and up to 1200* is acceptable for prolonged towing. But that Banks article says 1300* for prolonged towing/loaded conditions. That's quite a bit of headroom, and I for one believe him. I watched some of this stuff on YouTube recently and he's not just a name brand...he knows so much. It's really interesting to see him work on a problem.

So anyway that's great for those of us that flirt with 1200* towing...there's still more safety zone left.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that I'll stick with the 1200* limit. That way, I'll still have that extra safety margin.