Is Viton hose really that much better?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McMaster Carr has Viton hose for almost $20/ft for the 5/16 size. I know that some people have used that to replace their fuel hose, but is it really that much better? I can't see spending that much on hose, I know that both Goodyear and Gates hose are significantly cheaper.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Viton holds up to dino-diesel better than rubber, but its big advantage is that it holds up better to biodiesel.

If you're only going to be running dino-diesel from a pump, it's probably not worth the extra expense, but if you have an interest in running biodiesel or another alternative fuel, it might be worthwhile.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 3/8" for suction, it's 5/16" for return, It's 1/4' between injectors unless it's an 83 to 88, then between injectors it's 3/16" for 6.9's or you can upgrade it to 1/4" with the right caps.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you want -6 / 3/8 to the pump, 5/16 is return

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 3/8" for suction, it's 5/16" for return, It's 1/4' between injectors unless it's an 83 to 88, then between injectors it's 3/16" for 6.9's or you can upgrade it to 1/4" with the right caps.

Thanks for that bit of info. Since I have no plans of using biodiesel, I guess there wouldn't really be any added benefit to the Viton hose. I guess it's good to know though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The only place e run 5/16 for fuel supply is from the filter outlet to the injection pump inlet. Mel has created a fine modified piece for this area. It does away with the olives and thats a good thing.. I believe its braided stainless steel so it wont ever fail on you like the oem line has a manner of doing..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it 3/8" tube or 3/8" hose? I was under the impression the feed line was 3/8 tube hence 5/16" hose would probably be right. Tube is OD and hose is ID when gaging them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think we were talking about hose, at least that what I has assumed. What is on my truck currently looks like it's tube in some places and hose in other places.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: viton has advantages for high temperature, however, there's lots of fuel hose that is designed for and works very well for bio-diesel. There's actually several permeation tests that the barrier hoses have to pass, have a look at the specifications and you'll see that none of them need viton construction to work with bio-diesel.

Have a look at these links, and yes I happen to be pretty brand biased :D

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=574

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=575

http://www.safehose.com/ParkerProducts.asp?catID=594

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it 3/8" tube or 3/8" hose? I was under the impression the feed line was 3/8 tube hence 5/16" hose would probably be right. Tube is OD and hose is ID when gaging them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laserjock: you pass hydraulics 101 for knowing that tubing is indeed sized by OD, while hose is sized by ID. The only exceptions are air brake and MIL spec stuff, as these hoses were designed to replace tubing so they have reduced IDs to try to "match" their tubing predecessors. As a reward for your knowledge: please take this Sunday off to watch football :)

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 sells the viton kits best kit money can & will by. Never had ford or ih kits but had auto stores an wow what a waste if time. I installed mine from typ4 a year later after I got it (how fast my store kit took to fall apart) done in 30-45 min non turbo tool longer than it takes some but I have OCD so all is goin in one direction lol.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
On our trucks the supply lines from the tank are 3/8" The tubes being 3/8" OD and the hose sections being 3/8" ID

The same applies for the return line but its 5/16" instead of 3/8"