Is this unreal Mileage out of a 6.9 or something that is common?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For comparison, my work truck is a '08 F-350 with a small (gas) V-8 and a mpg readout on the dash... Plowing takes the mileage down to 4mpg.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plowing snow ........and 4 wheel high ???????
......sorry but I don;t believe it. I think what happened is that when you filled up at the end of the day, the pump stopped filling due to a rush of fuel going up the hose to the tank, or something like that.

For that kind of work, i'd say 12-15mpg, if your lucky.

Just my opinion.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not plowing but I almost bought an 89 7.3 zf 4x4 F 250 that was a consistent 25+ mpg getter.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Mine averages 16 weather I'm towing or not and I'm quite heavy on the go pedal so I don't think that plowing would lower mpg too much. I could see it raising it though, peek torque on these engines it around 1400rpm IIRC and low speeds would keep you right near that.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
When hurricane ike hit down here me and family went to austin and i had a full 30 gallon accesory tank, a gas powered air compressor, two toolboxes that it took three people to load, 6 spare tires, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I would estimate the weight in the back of the truck to be around 1500lbs and i got an average of 23 mpg with my 4.10 gears. We kept it slow and easy around 50 mph and just cruised along. I was surprised but it really woke me up as to how good of mileage these motors can get when you dont rack on em. This was with my pump turned up 3 flats. Its all about finding the sweet rpms and holdin it there.