is this a good deal

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
sorry guys hate to give you another is this a good deal thread.

i went and looked at this 90 4x4 350 CC SRW with a n/a7.3 the outside is in good shape it has some rust around the roof corners and stuff. the floor boards in the cab on the drivers and passenger side are completely rotted out and have alot of rust. and the windshield is cracked and it needs paint.

I was going to buy it and restore it because i always have wanted a crew cab.

Now being that the body isnt in the best shape I really dont want to go threw fixing the floorboards and rust and everything so my other options are either forget about it, or buy it and part it out.

Iv talked the guy down to 1500. The 7.3 was over heated and cracked the block but he thought it was the head gasket then the heads so he put a new head on and had the other rebuilt because he thought that was the problem. and the e4od was rebuilt about 5k ago.

Around here 1 tons with 4:10s sell for about 1200 but then im left with the rest of the truck, i figure the heads will weigh to much to ship to you guys along with most the other parts. im sure i can get rid of some of the stuff locally but I want to make some money off of this deal. I guess i dont NEED any of the parts but just wondering what you guys would do. and how much do you think i could make off of it. i dont know how much scrap is for a truck but if i cant make say 500 or more off it i dont want to bother with it.

I cant keep it at my place much more then a month if i do part it out.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pts/1516567434.html

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
1500 still seems a bit on the high side for a body that is riddled with rust. If it were a perfect body with a perfect interior, then that might be a different story.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1500 still seems a bit on the high side for a body that is riddled with rust. If it were a perfect body with a perfect interior, then that might be a different story.

1500 sounds high to me too, just keep lookin you will find what you want

sootman73

Reaction score
yea but you could sell that front axle for $1000 (or keep it and swap yours)

either way you can make $1500 back on a truck like that. we made about $2000 on a two hundred dollar truck with a blown motor and 2wd.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds high to me. Sure it has more $ than that in parts, but if the fellow selling wants to part it out then he can do it himself.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
yeah he lives in the city so he cant tear it apart. i want to get it but like you said rldsl the body isnt good for more then scrap so really im paying all the money for axles and a trans i dont need. i just thought it was a good deal but i think you guys are right the amount of work to part it out isnt worth making that much. and if i did make my truck 4x4 like iv been thinking i would still need a 4x4 zf5. i think im going to pass on this deal i just wanted a fun project but i think you guys are right the price just isnt good enough.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a crewcab 4x4 awhile back that was rotted out pretty bad. The doors were decent and so were the hood and fendors. The only problem with the fendors is that they were cut to fit 38.5's.

I paid 2000 for the truck only bacause of the front axle and the brand new bogger tires on it. So far, all the money has been made back and I still have a bunch of parts left to sell. Without a running motor you lose a little bit of money.

But if the doors, front clip, tranny, tires, transfercase, interior and rearend are good theres 1000-1200 right there. Know you can part the motor out piece by piece, sell the front axle and still have the frame left to play with.

I plan on buying a cheap dually with a nice body to put on my srw cc 4x4 frame. Then Ill part out what I can on that truck to make my money back.

If I keep larger parts off a truck, I consider breaking even alright. I rather make a profit, but a least I get the parts I want and still get my money back.

Id personally buy it if the above items were in decent condition.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
Go for it if your willing to keep a bunch of it and break even. Looks a lot nicer in the pictures than your description though.

DragRag

Reaction score
$1500 is to high. i deal with these trucks in volume these days, and I would not pay anywhere near that much for a truck with a bad engine and rotten cab. Yes the diff up front is worth a G, but how much more stuff do you have to part there to get your money back? Not much really, I have parted a ton of trucks, and the money is in the engine, trans, and front end on a 350 4x4. The rest is small money, there rear is worth like 300, and transfer case about $150. If the interior is crap, and body is shot, you don't have much left there. The truck you are looking at thee sounds like a $600 truck to me if you have any hope on actually making a dime after you spend you day loading, towing, dropping, and spending time disposing of the carcass etc when you are through. Just my very educated 2 cents though, you handle it any way you like. God knows that's what I do...

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I paid $1500 for mine crewcab and it doesn't have a hint of rust and took me roughly a year to find. If your not in a hurry, wait for it. That's what I did