Is my IP on its way to retirement?

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really sure how to troubleshoot, as I only notice this behind the wheel, at cruising speed, under load....and on top of that, it occurs only occasionally, usually after running for some time.

At first it sounded like rollover noise, which led me to check then drain+fill the ZF with some good fluid. Sound went away after....thought it was fixed... but it came back.

The only way I can describe it is it sounds like the timing is magically advanced. I have had to romp on it before the engine was up to temp and the high idle+advance was still kicked on....sounds awful close to that. I havent had the Ford diesel long enough to know what all the different sounds are, but I do know this is something that is out of the ordinary.

Now, when these "seizures" occur, it is accompanied with a lot more smoke than usual. There is no loss of power, no apparent misfires. My exhaust is usually very clean, even under hard acceleration... this is enough smoke to be noticed, but not enough to fog for biting insects.

My searches have shown things like slobbering injectors, valves, and the IP dying. In an attempt to narrow it down, I have run a few gallons of 100% ****** ATF through her on an empty tank to clean up the system, I have checked under the valve covers, nothing appears out of whack. Not sure how to test the IP? My biggest fear is this occasional noise will end up causing something catastrophic requiring a large withdrawal to resolve....or be something simple I know nothing about, leaving me and the kids stranded 50 miles from home.

Any thoughts? What makes this difficult is the occasional nature of this..

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
To help with diagnosing, next timE it does it, with the truck in gear and rolling, kill it, see if the noise persists, if not, it is likely the fuel system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin