is it navistar or IH? theres a guy on facebook who really erks me.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason on facebook I joined a silly group for Idi owners. I was under the assumption it was guys who knew how to wrench. Turns out most of the posts are arguments over blowing black smoke or some Anderson fella (who is apparently the worlds leading expert on idi's) saying crap about mels work. Anyway I left the group, but one guy really erked me. Anytime someone posts a picture of their truck with the details such as "just bought my IH powered 85 6.9 4speed" this guy rings in with "nice truck but your wrong its navistar" I responded with "if the name switch came about in 86 then what is my 84 6.9 considered?" He never answers me back.

I did a quick search on wiki and it said that the name switch was made in 86. So technically anything made before that would still be IH. Right? If anyone feels like putting this one to rest for me ide appreciate it.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Well, here's a rhetorical question for that guy from me: If International changed it's name completely over to Navistar, then why do they still make Heavy Trucks (semi's) branded as Internationals? I think that guy just liked being a know-it-all (or so he thought) and enjoyed picking fights with people over technicalities. People like that deserve a hug. In the face. With a hammer.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how everyone in the group was! I posted a picture of my 6.9 with plug wires from a gasser on the headstuds and I said where do I get spark plugs for this diesel and instead of taking as a joke more than half of them were like yo idiot its a diesel. Same guys are posting stuff everyday like how do I get more smoke. Or should I put two stacks in the bed or just one Lol .

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iird navistar is internationals engine group so the 88 would be a ford with a navistar engine and a 88 loadstar would be an international truck with a navistar engine but the lines blurred over the years

but that came from an ih tech so i assume there is some truth there

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, here is the series of events in the early to mid 80's

In late 80, or 81 IH stopped producing the Lightline vehicles. (The various Scout and Pickup's)
In July of 81, IH Sold the Cub Cadet division to MTD. At this time the production of the Cub Cadets moved to TN from Louisville
In 1985 IH sold the Agricultural Tractor division and the International Harvester name and IH "man on the tractor" logo to Tenneco (Case) which "gave birth" the to Farm Tractor brand of CaseIH.
Since the name International Harvester was sold, the Medium Duty and Class 8 trucks could no longer be called IH, or International Harvester, so the name was changed to Navistar. This name change nearly killed the truck and bus company because this was an new, unheard of truck/bus brand. After a couple of years of the name Navistar being on the trucks, they changed the name of the Truck and Bus Company to International, which helped to revive the truck and bus business.

So, technically, the only part of the Original International Harvester corporate name, that is still in business today is the International Truck and Bus company. This is the only part of the business not sold to another company.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Seems to me like a ******* match all about a name.cookoo Time to get a life and move on is what I would tell Mr Anderson. More smoke and one or two stacks sounds like youngsters still on the *** talk to me. Now to talk smack about Mel is really asking for it. To deamonize someone thats invested a lifetime for the betterment of others is ******* in a lot of peoples cherios. Sadly that person is asking for regognition not deserved. I wonder why that poser wont or can't become a member here. I really wonder why this "fell" has a problem with what Mel has done for everyone that wants the most from an idi engine. I belong to a club called ... Auburn Cord Duesenberg Clug. I'm lucky enough to own a 1937 Cord. I talk sometimes with owners of the faboulous Duesnebergs. They are a car of envy all over the world. Make no bones either. These are some of the wealthy people of the world where egos rank way up there. I have never seen and ******* matches going on at any level. Just people helping others. The Cord and Duesenberg Historians live about 25 and 15 miles from my home and I have talked with them many times. Funny how we seem to have some pot stickers trying to pull or people down all the time. In one of my Cord books is a quote... It says a champion never has to push people around...... Nuff said....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I remember the plug wire incident...***** that was funny *****...

I thought it was great myself...Too bad you didn't have a cut down Chev distributor in place of CDR and really mess with their heads. LOL That's something one might have to do, then run leads to GP's ROFL

I can see it now!

Throw a big ass holley on the intake and so on...

I got my new tune up kit for my diesel those guys at SPARKIES automotive sure do give good deals on plugs, and carbs for diesels...

:popcorn

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a reason I never joined that group...

FWIW the valve cover sticker on my '84 engine has the black & red IH logo, not the "Diamond Road" Navistar logo. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's an IH engine.

I have to admit, Scott, I never knew that they actually used the Navistar name on trucks and buses for any length of time...you learn something new every day! Also, if memory serves, the Scout/Terra/Traveler line was closed in October 1980 (I used to know the exact date, but I can't remember it right now). The Scout I used to own was built in late September 1980...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to admit, Scott, I never knew that they actually used the Navistar name on trucks and buses for any length of time...you learn something new every day! Also, if memory serves, the Scout/Terra/Traveler line was closed in October 1980 (I used to know the exact date, but I can't remember it right now). The Scout I used to own was built in late September 1980...

I believe it was only 1 or 2 model years. I remember seeing 1 or 2 with Navistar where it did say International. They didn't chance the look of the grill, just the name, which was changed back to International, but had the "Diamond Road" beside the word International.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
but the engine in my crawler has a valve cover that says 6.9 IH and the other says 7.3 navistar.... SO WHICH DO I HAVE?! so confused now.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726