ipr???

rthomas

Reaction score
after a month of owning this truck ive found the "chug" on startup is the most annoying issue i have, it almost feels like a miss. happens more when its warm than cold. if i touch the accelerator at startup it will respond normaly but will resume its 2-3 seconds of chugging when i take my foot off of it.
from reading some the ipr sounds like the likely cause to me, but im not very confident in my psd knoledge yet. thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be an injector maybe? I'm a neophite too, so I'm looking for the expert answer too. IPR? Injector presure regulator? Wouldn't that affect all the cylinders and not just one?
:popcorn

rthomas

Reaction score
injector is kind of what i thought too until i read the ipr paragraph on steve baz's page, the symtoms i read are simalar to what mine is doing. what this reminds me of is having 1 bad gp in the idi but its obviosly not the problem here

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IPR will cause a rough idle. Its pretty easy to pull it and re-o-ring it. And the warmer the engine is (oil temp) the worse the idle will be.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the oil was changed and what was used. These injectors are fired by high pressure oil and an electric solenoid and are very sensitive to poor worn out dirty oil, the wrong quality oil or the lack of enough oil getting to the injectors.

Running synthetic 5w40 Rotella got rid of the startup chug for me. If you don't know the history on it, I'd change the oil first.

Like Mike said the IPR valve is easy to rebuild and a lot cheaper than buying a new valve. IIRC it's $20 for the rebuild kit and $180 for a valve that usually has nothing wrong with it besides needing a good cleaning and new O-rings.

rthomas

Reaction score
the oil was pretty tired when i got the truck, i changed it a few days after i bought it with delo 15-40. from what i can tell its been changed often, the drain plug has been r&r'd and the oil is still clean after 900 miles. how hard is changing the orings? the book that i have is as discriptive as used toilet paper so if anyone has links to some pics of this or additional info, thanks

rthomas

Reaction score
finely im getting to this, was back east all last week. had to get the kit from ford for $45:puke: the nash dealer didnt even have a part# for the orings but they offered to sell me a new valve for $240

rthomas

Reaction score
i got it done, i think i did it a little different than what i read. i had to remove the fpr?? on the side of the filter housing with that out of the way it came out easy with a wrench (i wasent happy about the idea of ruining a socket by welding a bar on it)
im sure it needed a cleaning, there was quite a bit of grime in it. the orings looked pretty good so im sure the grime was the problem.
it started easy and now it idles smoother but it still chugs at startup, not as bad as it was but hopefully it will go away after i drive it more

MADVAN

Levittown N.Y.
Reaction score
Sounds like idle romp.
Do you have a scanner? It will help to see the problem.
If not. Unplug the EOT before the cold start. See if the romp changes. Also check the IPR connection. (corrode/oil).

Bill

Last edited:

rthomas

Reaction score
whats the eot?, i have a decent scanner and ive had no codes show up. the ipr definetly improved things and in spite of still having the original problem it starts quicker and idles smoother. i think it even gets better mileage, i have been switching tanks at 230 mi. last tank i switched at 255 thats when the guage hits e usualy about 15-16 gal

rthomas

Reaction score
i unplugged the eot and the chug was much worse, started hard and poor throttle response. the connections to the ipr seloniod look good, until i got ahold of it i dont think it had been unplugged before. thanks-russ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online