IP torque screw nightmare

SKimballC

Reaction score
Ok guys, here's a bad one. I was messing with the torque adjustment onthe back of my IP, and now I have a bigtime problem. I backed the lock nut out too far while adjusting it because now my IP seems to be locked up. I tried cranking it afterwards and the engine won't turn over. The engine feels locked up, won't crank over. This is bad I know. HELP! What have I done to my IP?

SKimballC

Reaction score
Whew, what a scare. I went back out as soon as I could see throught the red in my eyes and backed the thing out again, and then tightened it back up. And it cranked right up! I don't know just what my ******** just did but I am leaving that truck alone and finding something else to inevitably break over the weekend
Sorry for the freakout.

Shane
1988 F250 4X4 158K 4:10's, Gear Vendor, ATS turbo, 33" Coopers, 91 gallon aux tank for the WVO and way too many gauges

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
there is a Torx screw on the back of late model IDI injection pumps that increases the fuel.Doesn't do the same as internal screw though.I don't think it is possible to lock up the engine or the IP from messing with this screw like the internal fuel screw(which all it would do is lock up the pump and tear it apart internally.Not lock the engine up).Which,if his truck has the screw then that ain't the factory pump.I think it was around 92-93 when the external screw was available.I need to call Ken and find out exacly what the internal and external screws do but they don't control the same internal components.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the screw on the back side by the fuel inlet that controls the "fuel ramp" on the 92.5-94 7.3 IDI "P&E" engines. Do a search for more info, I read about it on this board then went out and adjusted it. My internal screw was maxxed so I adjusted this one too. Made a difference on my truck.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Fuel ramp, as in how much fuel is delivered, at certain throttle positions??

Could this be considered a timing adjustment?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember, it limits the amount of fuel delivered until the engine reaches a certian RPM then it allows full fuel. By backing it off you have full fuel all the time. It's basicly a "smoke puff limiter"

SKimballC

Reaction score
My pump has a rebuild sticker on it from someplace near Sacramento CA, can't recall the name but I never got through when I called the phone number on the sticker. Not the original pump, now my truck REALLY won't start. See new thread.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
hey where is the torque screw at exactly, what does it look like?

aaklingler

Reaction score
The external fuel screw is on the back side of the ip right above the head. It takes ~ 3/16" allen wrench and a 1/2" wrench, it should be under a plastic cap.

Does anybody know what size allen wrench you use on the internal screw? Is it correct that the timing mark on the balancer need to be at 1 o'clock?

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
ya i found it, i noticed a little more smoke HEHE but now it kinda idles low, im thinking maybe i hit something on the linkage? any ideas?
o and on the internal screw i think its a little guy, and just use a mirror and a flashlight and crank it over till u can get to the screw

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
aaklingler said:
The external fuel screw is on the back side of the ip right above the head. It takes ~ 3/16" allen wrench and a 1/2" wrench, it should be under a plastic cap.

Does anybody know what size allen wrench you use on the internal screw? Is it correct that the timing mark on the balancer need to be at 1 o'clock?

3/16" also I believe. I cut a piece that is the correct length so that when it is inserted in a socket, a 1/4" drive ratchet fits down in there perfect. Paint an orange stripe around it so you don't lose it.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online