Ip replacement

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone says to make sure not to remove the gear cover when replacing the ip. But the way I see it, you have to take the plate below the oil fill up to remove the ip. So do they mean don't take the whole oil fill up cover and just remove that plate, or is there another sneakier way of doing it?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

gandalf

Reaction score
Everyone says to make sure not to remove the gear cover when replacing the ip. But the way I see it, you have to take the plate below the oil fill up to remove the ip. So do they mean don't take the whole oil fill up cover and just remove that plate, or is there another sneakier way of doing it?

You remove only the diamond shaped plate to access the front side bolts for the IP.

Read THIS ARTICLE for the proper instructions. Print out the appropriate pages and keep them handy when you do this job. This article, BTW, is in the tech articles section at the top of this forum.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ last line = read the stickies and tech section!
Pull the lemon off to get at the 3 ip bolts!
First read the primer on all the steps' FIRST!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You remove only the diamond shaped plate to access the front side bolts for the IP.

Read THIS ARTICLE for the proper instructions. Print out the appropriate pages and keep them handy when you do this job. This article, BTW, is in the tech articles section at the top of this forum.

^^^ last line = read the stickies and tech section!
Pull the lemon off to get at the 3 ip bolts!
First read the primer on all the steps' FIRST!

Great advice .....read reqd read...

And as the phrase thats been coined here the lemon cover...just below a 7.3 oil fill neck does indeed need to be removed to access the 3 IP retaining bolts that hold the IP to the gear.

You do not remove the large IP gear tower/cover that has the oil fill inclusive of it. That big gear cover remains in place so the gear cannot move and the IP will be more or less timed pretty close to where need be when installed.

Where is your replacement IP coming from?

Good luck

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my friend a slightly used ip for a bull bar for a Chevy pickup, he upgraded to the moose pump and estimates 15 to 20k miles on it. Origin unknown

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance