IP question

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
I recently replaced my fuel shutoff solenoid, my question is should the sliding bar that the solenoid actuates have a spring pushing it toward the solenoid arm?

still no fuel to the injectors (loosened) I do get fuel at the shrader valve and to the return line on the top of the IP.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

LCjeff

gandalf

Reaction score
I've never had the top off an IP, so I can offer no firsthand experience. I can, however, post a picture for you. I think this might help.

You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
Here's another picture I have. I snatched this offline somewhere, probably from this forum.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another picture I have. I snatched this offline somewhere, probably from this forum.

That's one of my pics that I lost when my puter crashed. Thanks, I'll copy it.

I think that answers my question, now what to do about it?

"spring open solenoid close"

Thanks very much,

LCjeff

When the solenoid energizes, that moves the arm away and lets the valve open for fuel flow, the spring holds the valve toward the closed position, the throttle idle setting allows the valve a little opening, as the throttle advances, that opens the valve more. It could be the valve is stuck closed. Gummed up? Did you try and move it with the cap off? Was there any fuel in the top when you removed the cover? Under the outlet ell fitting is a check valve that could be stuck, remove it and you'll see it.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
When the solenoid energizes, that moves the arm away and lets the valve open for fuel flow, the spring holds the valve toward the closed position, the throttle idle setting allows the valve a little opening, as the throttle advances, that opens the valve more. It could be the valve is stuck closed. Gummed up? Did you try and move it with the cap off? Was there any fuel in the top when you removed the cover? Under the outlet ell fitting is a check valve that could be stuck, remove it and you'll see it.

So the valve is sprung pushing to the front of the truck (the open position?)
The solenoid spring forces the valve closed against the valve spring when not energized.
I moved the valve several times thinking that there should be pressure on the solenoid when replacing the top cover, there was no pressure from any spring.
When I removed the top cover both times it was full of fuel. I got fuel out of the return line where the check valve and the hard line join at the cover.
No fuel from the injector lines that I have loosened. (all of them)

I'll look again today to see if I can see anything obviously wrong.

Thanks again for the responses,

LCjeff

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Find a replacement from a wrecker or any injection pump repair shop. The shop can be any dirty old place. What you want is nearly impossible to ruin. It sure can't be rebuilt so no worrys. Just try to test it before you walk out. Probably get it free or a $2.00 wrecking yard intery fee and pocket it. Hell you already paid 2 bucs for it.. Why not... Wouldn't we all like to charge 2 bucs just to take a walk thru a place we call our own...:sly:angel:

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Trouble is I have no idea what is missing inside there

It looks like there is a spring th entire length of the part
That the solenoid moves.

gandalf

Reaction score
Do you have to top off the IP? Perhaps you could take a picture for us to look at. A picture equivalent to the one posted above would be good, for comparison purposes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If your talking about the black fitting on top of the pump cover that the return line fitting screws into just remove it from the top of the pump. Its got an o-ring seal and unscrews easy. Any DB2 injection pump has this check valve on it.. Even the pumps found on the chvey diesels...

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Here is a pic, with the piece slid to the back. (which I'm guessing should not happen due to the spring)

That piece is pretty loose in there,

LCjeff

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm beginning to have trouble here because I've never been inside an IP, and have only a marginal understanding of how they work. What we need is somebody who has much better knowledge of the inner workings of the IP. I can go only by what I'm able to see.

There they are, side by side. LCJeff's picture has better focus, on the left. They look pretty much the same, except for maybe the lower right corner area of each. Oldbull's IP seems to have a thin thing going across, center to bottom. LCJeff's IP doesn't seem to have that, or maybe it's going off at an angle, center to lower left. It's hard to tell.

Beyond that, I've about hit my limit. Well have to wait for somebody with more knowledge.