IP or injectors?

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Hello folks. I'm having some issues with my truck, and as the title reads, is it the IP, the injectors, or both? My power problems started yesterday with rough idling, dying sometimes, extremely hard starting, and spongy acceleration reponse, and when it did respond, it was slow to gain, and then it pulled, and fell flat on it's face again. The fuel filter and lift pump are new, had an oil change just a few days before, and the two places I get fuel from are places that have high turn-around (high business). Oh, almost forgot, my truck is an '89 F250, with a 5-speed, and has 148,*** miles on it. I have my suspicions it's the IP, but I seek the advise of those who are more knowledgable than I. Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and the faster I can fix the problem, the faster it can go back to making me money.

P.S.- the IP and injectors are original.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a little air in the system. Might try adding fuel - is it around a quarter tank right now? Fill it up and see if that solves it. Also try taking off the fuel filter, filling it with atf, run the truck to get the atf into the injection pump and turn it off. Let the truck sit for a a few hours or even overnight. The atf should help clean up the inside of the injection pump.

Now might be worth checking on the condition of the rest of the fuel system too. Look it over for any signs of seepage around return caps.

Air in the system will give those same types of symptoms.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Prevailing wisdom I have read says the lifespan of IP and injectors is 120k-150k or so. So you are right about there. Really tho, from the description, it does sound like air intrusion. Cannot hurt to check for it. Also might not be a bad idea to try the ATF truck mentioned above. Getting the air out and the injection system cleaned may get you some more miles. However, I am most likely not the first to say it: Prolly time for a whole new injection system. It will feel like a new truck afterwords.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the pump is finally done. But first try the atf in the filter. It just might be a sticky advance plunger or something else in the pump. running a fuel treatment usually cleans this out but the pump and injectors are at the very end of their lifespan.

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Update- I went to start my truck yesterday, and the only way it would attempt to start was if I had my foot to the floor. I'll try the ATF in the filter, and look for the leakage in the system.

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input on this matter, come to find out, the metal fuel by the pass. side exhaust manifold is the issue, it's been shaking hands with the frame rail. The question now is...Rubber, or metal replacement, if rubber, what size?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rubber fuel rated hose will work fine..:sly
Its 3.8 tube so 3/8 rubber hose is what you want. Get the reinforced hose...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Only one member here sells the Moose Pump line of products. His name on this site is Agnem.. Most know him by Mel. PM him and he will contact you about a price and line frame.... Great guy to deal with too..

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Thank you, I was also looking at the injection pump on usdieselparts.com, where they install a steel sleeve in the advance. Any thoughts on that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online