IP install questions

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So Mel has my baby moose right now, and before I get it I need to clear up one thing. On a 4 stroke engine, a single injector injects fuel once every two revolutions of the crankshaft. So when the new IP fits on the timing gear, how do I know if the IP is on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. In other words 360* out of time?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If...you didn't remove the top gear cover and disturbed that top "timing" gear > you're good to go as > the IP is doweled/indexed to go on one way.
PS...you'll like that "Baby Moose". Personally I believe there's some magic going on inside.
And, bet you didn't know...I came up with the name ;Really:sly;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is so true. Please don't post that you went the easy way and removed the pump.. Gear cover and injection pump gear.... If so your in for a ride on how to "fix" this issue. To anyone reading this post... Do not ever remove the aluminum gear cover that the injection pump bolts up to....

gatorman21218

Reaction score
No I didnt remove the gear cover, only the inspection plate.

I know the pump has a dowel on it and will only fit one way onto the gear. But each injection cycle is 720* right? And the dowel fits on there every 360* of the cycle. So How do I know when I put the pump back on if the pump is on the right cycle? Or does it matter?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I didnt remove the gear cover, only the inspection plate.

I know the pump has a dowel on it and will only fit one way onto the gear. But each injection cycle is 720* right? And the dowel fits on there every 360* of the cycle. So How do I know when I put the pump back on if the pump is on the right cycle? Or does it matter?
Doesn't matter...as long as you didn't change out the hard injector lines for flexible ones and hook em up to the wrong IP nipples :D

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS...use some RED Loctite on those three gear bolts...AND...make sure you're surgically clean when reinstalling everything ;Sweet
One speck of debris can clog up an injector ;Really

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope didnt do all that either. So how does the IP know when to send out fuel?
The inside of the IP is like the rotor on top of a Chevy distributor...and how the spark plug wires (or hard fuel lines in your case) are hooked up to the IP determines which injector gets the shot as the thing rotates > driven off that top gear.
As long as that top IP timing gear (or) Chevy distributor hasn't been upset > then> the only other way it would be wrong is (if) you hooked up a injector line to the wrong cylinder/injector, and that can't easily happen with hard fuel lines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is no possible way you can install the pump wrong if... you never removed the gear cover... So you have posted the cover is in place and you never removed it... thats a great sign. As posted above.. the pump is like a distrbutater on a gas engine. It knows when to spark or pump fuel to an injector. Hope this clears up the questions.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok thanks yall I think i understand now. the IP gear moves at half the speed of the crank shaft, so therefor the IP can never get out of time.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Just line the dowel up and stick it in there, no need to worry you cant mess up.

Now you may have to advance or retard the timing some buy turning the pump but thats it

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Jim the pump timing will be something that you'll have to figure out and is best set with tools, but as long as you don't remove the gear cover you're fine to just line it up with the dowel and install it. It sounds like WrickM is very close to your area and has expressed a willingness to time OB members trucks. He uses luminosity timing so put that thing at 1.5* ATDC at 1400 on his meter and you'll be about perfect. For static timing, line up the timing marks. Good luck and you know how to reach me if you get stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle